Ukraine Trip

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ukraine Trip

Hi! I have a chance to travel to the Ukraine this July, 2004 for a study tour. I'd love to hear from someone who's been there. Would you return? What are some "must see" attractions? Is hiking popular in the Ukraine? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Hiking and mushroom hunting (although July is a bit early for that) are quite popular. Probably the best place to go for advice is the Thorn Tree on www.LonelyPlanet.com, as many of the posters have been there.

I would say that it is important to state just where in Ukraine (and they don't like the adjective before the country's name!) you are going, as there is a tremendous difference between, say, Odessa and Kiev.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:56 AM

I went once on business and went again on my own. I would go again.

My "must sees" would include a stroll around the shopping areas to see what they have in store. You will be much more thankful for our blessings.

I would recommend visits to some of the cathedrals. They are beautiful. Also visit the farmer's market.

Hiking? They hike out of neccessity because they have no cars. Otherwise, Ukraine is one huge wheat field.

Beware of outrageous hotel rates priced in dollars. Food and transport is cheap. Learn the alphabet and a few words. Pick up a guide book and maps when you arrive.

The people are very friendly. They are also poor to the point of pity. It's a sad scene.

Carry some small trinkets to use as bakeesh for border guards and police who might stop you for whatever. Bic lighters are OK for normal encounters. For more serious delays have a bottle of cheap perfume handy. Don't hand it to him; just signal that it is his when he sees it and/or picks it up.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
DB

About 5 weeks, and we'll be back in Ukraine for a few weeks. We plan to spend a few days around Yalta again near the end of the trip, going in and out of Kyiv. \/

Asking if hiking is popular is like asking an Eskimo if he has a sled -- most people walk everywhere, between momentary reprieves on the local tram. But, there are a number of places in the Carpathians and in Crimea (to name a couple general areas) where people go hiking for the scenery.

You don't say which cities or areas your study trip will take you, nor for how long, but the four major areas are Kyiv, Lviv, Odesa, and Crimea (Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta).

See following (includes other links):
http://home.att.net/~db-ukraine

I'll probably update this with more photos after our return.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Again! Thanks for the great advice. I'd love to see some photos when they are available.

My tour itinerary includes Lviv, Nove Selo village, Kolomyia City, Sokolivka village, Yaremche, Tysmenytsia village, Kyiv, Black Sea coast in Sudak, Yany Maale village, Yalta City of Crimea. I believe these are in south & east Ukraine, but not sure.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
DB

You should try to learn the cyrillic alphabet so that not everything is completely cryptic, it is not very difficult, and you'll be surprised at the words you recognize from English.
For example: 6ap = bar, for a drink.

You should also look at a map and get some of idea of where you will be going, here's one to get you started:

http://travel.kyiv.org/map/

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM

I am going to Lviv, Odesa, Kyiv, Vinnitsya in September...any more recommendations of favorites in those cities? Food/candy, sites, hotels, bars, restaurants?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM

marianna1,

Some time ago you posted:
Author: marianna1
Date: 01/22/2004, 05:34 pm

Message: Are there any non-Ukrainians out there who have been to the Ukraine and have experiences/journals they could share? I am planning to go in June to Lviv and then Black Sea area and I am having difficulty finding any opinions and info. (I ask for non-Ukrainians because I have found my friends from there to be about as unbiased as asking a Texan about Texas.)
Thanks!!

Now you say
Message: I am going to Lviv, Odesa, Kyiv, Vinnitsya in September...any more recommendations of favorites in those cities? Food/candy, sites, hotels, bars, restaurants?

I would be happy to give you some contact information in L'viv and perhaps Kiev if you post again with your email address.

BTW, you would probably be better off to wait till spring for better weather. It can get pretty raw out there early in the fall.

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I am going at the very beginnning of September and I would love any information you could give. My e-mail address is [email protected].
Thank you!
M
Also, some people I know have recommended bringing crisp dollar bills as they can be helpful. Is this true or now out-of-date?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM

ttt
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM

marianna1,
Do bring the new bills and crisp ones. Older bills will be suspect of being fake. The new twenty where Jackson appears without the oval frame is probably the best, and it is a beautiful bill. $100s have historically been the most counterfeited.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM

ttt