Search

UK to ban smoke in pubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK to ban smoke in pubs?

I saw this on the Guardian site and thought it might of interest:

"Health Secretary John Reid has ordered Britain's publicans and restaurateurs to draw up plans to phase in smoking restrictions across all their premises as the first step towards a blanket national ban."

The rest of the story is at:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/polit...268799,00.html
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Well, the smoking ban worked in Ireland. I just loved not having cigarette smoke in my guinness.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:10 PM

I certainly hope so!
M (MD ABIM ABNM ABR)
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:48 PM

I hope so too, but don't count on it.
It seems Mr Blair et al are more worried about the negative response they think they would get from a ban on smoking (even though only 30% of adults smoke in the UK) and not fussed about making a bogus claim to take us into war.

In the meantime, if anyone asks you in a restaurant 'Do you mind if I smoke' simply reply with a cheery 'Do you mind if I fart?'
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:50 PM

Wonderful
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:03 AM

Where are all those "Fodorite" big mouths who were telling the rest of us the smoking ban in Ireland would "never work" and likening it to the potato famine?

The inevitable will happen...just a matter of time.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:44 AM

I think that the latest is that they are going to ban smoking in restaurants but not pubs/bars....
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM

<i>&quot;as the first step towards a blanket national ban.&quot;</i>

It would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see (or should I say smell) it.

<i>&quot;even though only 30% of adults smoke in the UK&quot;</i>

Really? I would have guessed much higher. We noticed that the packs of cigarettes sold in the UK have great big warnings on them saying things like &quot;SMOKING KILLS&quot; - no polite little surgeon generals warning that &quot;smoking can be hazardous to your health&quot; tucked away on on the side of American packs.

Very radical, considering how polite most other UK signage is. We always find it amusing (and much more civilzed) to see signs apologizing for inconvenience for things like road construction, no dogs allowed. In the US, they don't mince words. Our signs say &quot;Road Construction Next 20 Miles&quot; or &quot;No dogs allowed&quot; No apologies.

Back to cigarettes... my cousin is living in Canada and she says the cigarette packs there have awful pictures of diseased lungs, etc... on them.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:02 AM

As and Englishman, I am very doubtful. I think it will cause riots, worse than if you stood up in a pub and called Mrs. Q a bloody slag.

It may have worked in Ireland, but we English are nothing like the Irish.

I get the shivers thinking about someone telling my Aunt Pat that she can't have a fag in a pub. I WOULD BE VERY AFRAID.

Cheers,
John G.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Well the smoking ban in New York has worked just fine. And I can;t imagine that Londoners are any more ornery or outspoken than New Yorkers.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Its a great idea, but like everything else in this country it will only be half done and it won't be enforced.
Heres to clean smelling clothes and eyes that don't sting.

Muck
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM

ThinGorJus, you may be english, but I believe it's a fair few years since you've been a resident, and dare I suggest a little out of touch?

The ban is coming. The brewery Green King has just announced a nationwide ban in half its pubs across the country. The government is now asking all pubs and restaurants to start phasing in bans before legislation forces it to happen. Smokers everywhere are resigned to it. It looks like the ban will happen first in restaurants, but pubs will follow. It's inevitable. I confess to being a smoker, and I know of no one amongst my smoking friends who are bitching and moaning - we all see it as a good reason to give up.

The big, blunt warnings messages on packs are an EU directive - you can see them across Europe, in the same style. Yes, even in France, Itay and Greece.

Smoking in the UK IS in a minority now. You may think we all puff away like mad, but then as tourists you'll be visiting pubs and restaurants every day - places you'll find more smokers than anywhere else. Even occasional (&quot;social&quot smokers, who hardly EVER smoke will have to odd one with a drink down the pub.

But not for long....
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:46 AM

The Government is waiting to be pushed: and all the public opinion surveys are pointing in the same direction. It will happen, but it would suit Mr B if a number of local authorities try it out first: I doubt if there's going to be national legislation on this in the run-up to an election!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Yes, you are correct that I don't live in London anymore. But, I do come home at least once a year. I am still doubtful. I think it may work in London, but I think you will have a hard time in small pubs in working-class communities.

I lived in Manhattan for two years and have hundreds of friends in the city. I am told that the ban is NOT working in many bars in the city. One friend told me that in certain small bars on the Lower Eastside people continue to smoke. The NYTIMES recently wrote an article on those who are challenging the law. Many barkeeps are hidding ashtrays behind the bar, and people are smoking in the loo.

As a former member of the club scene, I know that if you can do E, heroin, and cocaine in a loo stall, you can certainly smoke a fag.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:56 AM

And another problem of smoking bans is that the smokers go outside to smoke. <b>BUT!!</b> They stand right outside the doors, so you have to walk through their haze of smelly smoke to enter and exit anyway. [pew, pew!]
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:26 AM

There was a time people thought how could you ban smoking on a airplane, people can't be expected to go without a &quot;fag&quot; for 12 hours!! Well smokers, writting is on the wall. As far as exits and doorways, many California laws prohibit anywhere near buildings. There have been hospital employees fired for smoking in their cars in the parking lot. On my morning walks I am still amazed by the butts all over. Many smokers are pigs and the sooner we get them penned up the better for the rest of us.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Massachusetts just passed a state wide ban at the beginning of July; most places seem to be complying with the law.

Many towns and cities in the state had passed full or partial bans months or years before the state-wide ban was passed (including Boston--full ban), so I think things have not really changed for many bars in our state.

My husband is VERY allergic to cigarette smoke, so for us, the ban is a blessing!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Why not leave it up to the individual pub? Pubs could state that they allow/disallow smoking and you can visit if you wish.As Rodney King said&quot;why can't we all just learn to live together?&quot;
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:03 AM

The real reason the UK politicians want to ban smoking is cost of health care. Smoking is not a drop dead death it is a slow death of many deseases and all of them cost a fortune.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I'm asking this simply because it puzzles me and makes me curious especially as I have read it here before. What is a severe allergy to cigarette smoke?

It is probably another of my senior moments but I cannot for the life of me figure out how you can be allergic to the smoke. Again, not wishing to start an argument or make a point just curious.

Ilovelabs, we were in Greece last year and will return again at the end of this summer and it seemed almost everyone there smoked. I didn't find it too troublesome or annoying but after your message I now appreciate that it may cause a serious problem to some.

milley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -