Reload this Page >

UK quotes/poetry

Search

UK quotes/poetry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Kim

UK quotes/poetry

I have recently returned from a three week vacation in the UK & Paris. I am in the midst of putting together a scrapbook with all my pictures. I thought it would be really fun to embellish the pages with poetry and quotes describing the places I visited. For instance, on one of my London pages I used the quote about he who is tired of London is tired of life... Does anybody have any other good quotes? (The places I visited were: London, Bath, Stonehenge, Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Edinburgh, York and Paris)

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:45 PM
wes fowler

Kim, <BR>If in Bath you photographed the homes of the Royal Crescent, you might caption your photo thusly: <BR>"Those comfortably padded lunatic asylums which are known, euphemistically, as the stately homes of England". Virginia Woolf in The Common Reader.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 01:46 PM
Walter

Paris is a veritable ocean. Take as many soundings in it as you will, you will never know its depth. (Balzac: Pere Goriot) <BR>Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 02:14 PM
Tammy

Paris is a moveable feast. Ernest Hemingway

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Sheila

Edinburgh-The Athens of the North <BR>"I belong to Glasgow <BR>Dear Old Glasgow Town <BR>There's something the matter wi Glasgow <BR>For it's going round and round <BR> <BR>I'm only a common ol workin' chap <BR>as anyone here can see <BR> <BR>But when I get a couple of drinks on a Saturday, <BR>Glasgow belongs ta me!" <BR> <BR>"The trouble with Freud is he never played the Glasgow Empire, Saturday night"

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Byrd

"Oh, London is a man's town, there's power in the air; <BR>And Paris is a woman's town, with flowers in her hair." <BR>Henry Van Dyke, "America For Me"

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:54 AM
elvira

Oh my this is that esp thing again; I had thought of posting a query "what are your favorite quotes about travel?". Kim's already started it! <BR> <BR>And dream of London, small and white and clean <BR>The clear Thames bordered by its gardens green. William Morris <BR> <BR>When it's three o'clock in New York, it's stil 1938 in London Bette Midler <BR> <BR>Paris is terribly derisive of all absurd pretensions but its own Unknown <BR> <BR>And my absolute favorite from Alexander Woollcott: The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into great calm.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 10:53 AM
KT

Speaking of "Edinburgh -- Athens of the North," there's always the rejoinder "Edinburgh -- Reykjavik of the South" (Tom Stoppard). (No offense meant to Edinburgh; I love the place.)

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Anne

Sheila <BR> <BR>Thanks for posting the I belong to Glasgow lyrics. It brought back memories of my dear Glaswegian mom -- I could almost hear her voice... <BR> <BR>Anne in NY

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Sheila

Glad you liked it! <BR> <BR>I swithered about the Clyde boat song too.. you know, the one that goes <BR> <BR>"The River Clyde, the wonderful Clyde, the name of it thrills me <BR>and fills me with pride, <BR>And I always know <BR>Whate'er may betide <BR>The greatest of songs <BR>Is the song of the Clyde" <BR> <BR>or <BR> <BR>"Sailing doon the Clyde on the "Waverley" <BR>A great big ship is the "Waverley" <BR>She'll tak' ye doon tae Rothesay and be back for tea <BR>Jist like ye did when ye were wee!" <BR> <BR>(Don't applaud, just throw money!)

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Ben Haines

William Dunbar, fifeenth century <BR>...Of merchaunbtis full of substaunce and of myght: <BR>London, thou art the flour of Cities all. <BR> <BR>William Wordsworth. London from Westminster Bridge. September 3rd 1802. <BR> <BR>Earth has not anything to show more fair: <BR>Dull would he be of soul who could pass by <BR>A sight so touching in its majesty. <BR> <BR>And more harshly, T S Elliot in "The Waste Land" in 1922 <BR> <BR>Unreal City, <BR>Under the brown fog of a winter dawn, <BR>A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many <BR>I had not known death had undone so many <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 12:37 PM
Martha B

One of Jane Austen's characters, at a ball in Bath, gushes, "Oh! who can ever be tired of Bath?" <BR>And I hope you felt the same!

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 02:04 PM
elaine

Maybe these as well <BR> <BR>"England is a nation of shopkeepers" <BR> --Napoleon <BR> <BR>"God! I will pack, and take a train, and get me to England once again!" <BR> Rupert Brooke <BR> <BR>"The Stately Homes of England, <BR>How beautiful they stand <BR>To prove the upper classes <BR>Have still the upper hand" <BR> Noel Coward <BR> <BR> <BR>"Nobody can simply bring together a country that has 265 kinds of cheese." <BR> Charles DeGaulle <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Beth Anderson

another nice topic...

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:25 PM
John

Well, for Liverpool one must invoke Gerry and the Pacemakers I suppose... <BR> <BR>People around every corner <BR>They seem to smile and say <BR>We don't care what your name is boy <BR>We'll never turn you away <BR>So I'll continue to say <BR>Here I always will stay <BR>So ferry 'cross the Mersey <BR>Cause this land's the place I love <BR>And here I'll stay <BR> <BR>The Great MacGonagall said of Edinburgh, <BR> <BR>Beautiful city of Edinburgh! the truth to express, <BR>Your beauties are matchless I must confess, <BR>And which no one dare gainsay, <BR>But that you are the grandest city in Scotland at the present day! <BR> <BR>In another of his poetic gems, MacGonagall said of Glasgow, <BR> <BR>Beautiful city of Glasgow, I now conclude my muse, <BR>And to write in praise of thee my pen does not refuse; <BR>And, without fear of contradiction, I will venture to say <BR>You are the second grandest city in Scotland at the present day! <BR> <BR>What an artist.