Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein Information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:52 PM
Kevin

First time on this web-site. Wish I'd seen it sooner. <BR>I'm going to Bavaria and Austria in a few weeks (for two weeks). One of the days, I will be traveling (by car) between Munich and Rotenberg. I wanted to visit Neuschwanstein (and the other castle there - sorry forgot the name). I was hoping to visit when it first opens and then see the second castle (as well as a hike to Marienbrucke). <BR>How long will this take if I don't rush it too much? <BR>Any suggestions on tours at the castles or advice on missing most of the crowds?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:02 PM
wes fowler

Tourist buses start to arrive between 9:30 and 10AM. Leave the car in the special park at Hohenschwangau. You can walk from the parking lot to Schloss Hohenschwangau, one of the few Bavarian castles that someone actually lived in for an extended period of time. Queen Marie, the mother of King Ludwig II lived there for many years. Following the tour of the castle, walk back to the center of the village where you can either take a bus from the Hotel Liesl or horse-drawn cart from the Hotel Muller to Neuschwanstein. Take one or the other; you can walk to Neuschwanstein but it’s a very steep and lengthy climb. After touring the castle, you might want to walk up the Pollat gorge to the Marienbrucke, the bridge that spans the gorge. From there you can look down on Neuschwanstein castle, a most impressive view. Return to the village and your car by either the bus or horse cart. Check the website: www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/cneuschwanstein.html for information on the castle.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:15 PM
Ed

You can diminish your wait considerably by getting there when it opens, either 0830 or 0900. Definitely do Neuschwanstein first as the waits are far longer there (greater crowds) than at Hohenschwangau. <BR> <BR>For a second castle I'd recommend Linderhof, about an hour's drive from Schwangau, instead of Hohenschwangau. <BR> <BR>It's about three hours, maybe a bit more, from Rothenburg to Schwangau, so you really need to overnight in the area for an early visit. Much of interest in the area, though, so that's an opportunity, not a problem. <BR> <BR>For some ideas about the area and sights see www.twenj.com/bavarianeu.htm

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:36 AM
Dawn

We were in Bavaria last year and visited the castle in late September. We couldn't get there early, and arrived around 3:30. We took the last, 4:00, English Tour of the day, and it was not crowded at all. Maybe 30 people. Keep it in mind.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:22 AM
Bill

There are "time tickets" that you purchase in an office at the bottom, so you don't have to wait in line at the castle. The bus is the quickest way up (unless you count the wait) and drops you off very near the bridge. The horse-drawn carriage is actually slower than walking. It's a pleasant walk if you are not out-of-shape. <BR> <BR>If you enjoy hiking, keep going along the path at the other side of the bridge. It goes several hundred feet higher for more views of the castle. The walk down from the bridge to the castle is a piece of cake, and the walk from the castle back to town is no problem at all. (Take the bus up if you must, but go ahead and walk down.)

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:22 PM
Me

I went before opening and got tickets( be sure to get both of them ask for a Hoenswangau time after lunch.Then go to the bus stop take the bus up if you ticket indicates you have time then go to the right to the bridge.the you will wait in the courtyard. After touring and walking down ,have lunch ( bring it to save time and take the carriage or walk up) You can walk around up ther and take pictures as you wait--Even so it will take up most of the day----Do not miss Linderhof---they are all so different

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:55 PM
Rolf S.

One more opinion that you need to get to Neuschwanstein early, take the bus up, do the Englsh language tour, hike up to the bridge, but I'd also suggest walking down....it's an easy downhill stroll & you avoid the crowded bus. The older castle, Hohenschwangau, really isn't worth a visit your first time over. Also agree that Linderhof is the 2nd castle of choice. The Fussen/Schwangau area is a good choice for an overnight stay (see www.neuschwanstein.com (or it may end in .de) for some good lodging selections. Enroute from Neuschwanstein to Linderhof is the Wies Kirch, probably the best preserved pilgrimage church in Germany (a must see). Would also suggest Oberammergau as an overnight location. It's a bit touristy, but for a good reason...it's a beautiful town. fyi...most German cities have their own websites; just type in the city followed by .de. <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Philip

I echo the other posters in that you should be there before it opens. This is one of Europe's biggest sites. Study up before you go. When I toured Neuschwanstein, I felt that the tour was rushed. I think there was also about 50 people in our tour and it was difficult to hear & understand the tour guide.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:13 PM
meagain

I loved Howenswangau--It is your classical old time castle that was lived in as a home (as Neuschwanstein really wasn't) and the views and photo ops are worth the trip up --Yes squeeze in a visit to Wies- church!!! You cannot really do Linderhof also in the same day if you do these three so your choice

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Kevin

Thanks for your helpful information!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Don

We visited Neuschwanstein in June and reserved tickets and a tour time before we left the U.S. using the following website: www.ticket-center-hohenschwangau.de Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Tara

We just returned from a trip to Bavaria and Italy. We arrived at Neushwanstein at about 9:30. We were with my husband's Bavarian uncle who is 25 years older than us but in fantastic shape. He insisted we walk up to the castle. It was quite a hike for my husband and I, but my two couch potato teenagers were really struggling. We got our tickets that are timed at the castle for about 12:00. That actually gave us time to hike to the bridge which is spectacular. The walk down was easy. This was on a Thursday and was quite crowded. It is even more crowded on weekends.