UK > Oslo to Bergen Train > UK Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK > Oslo to Bergen Train > UK Ideas?

Hi, all.

First post, here.

I'm thinking about going to Norway, purely to experience the Oslo to Bergen train. I've been to Norway a couple of times, once Tromso to Nordkapp, and another time, driving between Oslo and Bergen, then ferry to Shetland.

I'd like to attempt the trip using public transport, and 'let the train (aeroplane) take the strain'.

I'm in North Wiltshire in the UK, anyone got any itinerary suggestions, that worked well for them? Cost isn't a massive constraint, but conversely, I know that Norway is expensive, relative to UK prices.

As I'm planning ahead, I haven't thought about best months to travel. I'll be travelling alone, and am not constrained by school holidays.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:35 PM

For what you are doing you might as well experience the fjords at water level. Do the Norway in a Nutshell trip starting in Oslo and ending in Bergen.

https://norway.nordicvisitor.com/tou...RoCNAQQAvD_BwE

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 05:22 AM

You could do it all by train, London-Brussels-Hamburg-Gotheburg-Oslo. It might be worth looking at where an Interrail pass will save you money on the trip.
You could fly, or you could combine trains and buses or ferries. There is a ferry to Oslo from Kiel for instance.
You can also get a ferry back from Bergen to Denmark for instance.

Oslo-Bergen is a spectacular route btw. We did it in March a few years ago, without the Nutshell part of it, just direct, and it was wonderful.
We paid extra for 1st class or whatever they call it in Norway, and I am glad we did- the train was packed.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, both; great ideas. I'll try to look at these properly, today. Thank you.

Chris