UK itinerary questions

Search

UK itinerary questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK itinerary questions

I am planning VERY far in advance, we are planning a 2 week trip to the UK for Feb 2006 (Please don't say anything negative about the weather -- I'm already nervous enough!). Here is our very tentative itinerary:

(Keep in mind this is our first time to the UK so we would like to get more of an overview for subsequent visits.)

Day 1 Fly from US to London
Day 2-5 London
Day 6-7 Edinburgh (Is this enough time?)
Day 8-15 Ireland (this is where it get's fuzzy)
Day 16 Fly from Dublin to US

So here are my questions,

We plan on flying into Dublin from Edinburgh, what is the least expensive way to do this?

Once in Ireland we plan on renting a car, it will be our first time driving in Ireland, but I've been lurking here for quite some time and feel confident, my question is should we begin in Dublin, spend a few days then go explore, or begin exploring and end up in Dublin (that is where we fly back home).

Now as for sites to see, we are pretty confident we would like to do see Dublin for approx 2 days and Dingle Pen. for another 2 or 3. What should we do for the remaning 2 or 3 days? We thought of Killarney and Ring of Kerry, but I've read very mixed reviews. I've been reading great things about Doolin, would this work with my intinerary so far?

Thanks so Much!

Chandra
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I could spend at least a week in London, even 2 with day trips as well.

I spent 2 full days in Edinburgh and a third would have been fine.

I spent 3 full days in Dublin and this was just about right.

Check whichbudget.com for flights from Dublin to Edinburgh, but probably ryanair. Check opodo.co.uk for the majors - maybe Air Lingus?

I would love to have visited Glasgow which is 1 hour from Edinburgh. Also have heard West Ireland, Gallway, etc., is great.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Don't worry about the weather you will be fine. It appears that you will have three full days plus the balance of the arrival day to explore London. Not loads of time but will give you chance for good overview of highlights. How do you plan to get to Edinburgh? If by train, leaving on day6, then most of day 6 will be used up in travel, giving you only one full day (7) in Edinburgh. If you fly you will have a bit more of day 6 to use. Suggest you stay directly in city for easy access to castle and other sights. Again not lots of time but you can see the core of the city pretty quickly. More would be better but we have to fit our time.

I suggest you fly Ryan Air from Edinburgh to Dublin, nice cheap flights and they leave from main airport and arrive in main airport (unlike Ryan does in other locations). Nice one hour flight. Think of Ryan as a Southwest type carrier. They are just fine.

In Ireland, if you are not already locked into flights (ie, non-changable tickets bought already?)then why not fly home out of Shannon? That way you can fly into Dublin, spend a couple of days there, pick up car, drive to the west (which I think is the neatest part of Ireland) with stops on the way, then turn in the car and fly home.

Have fun
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM

I'd spend less time in Ireland and more in London. Perhaps a day trip to Windsor or bath or hampton court. Don't forget to look into "flipping" the trip and fly into Dublin and out of London. It might be less expensive. Just a thought.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:19 AM

You can fly in to Shannon from Glasgow which I would think would be a pretty easy public transit trip from Edinburgh. Since you are trying to see some countryside in Ireland, I would not take time off of Ireland for London.

I like the RoK where others don't. I think it is much more subtle and still very beautiful. You could spend you first night (assuming you land in Shannon) in Doolin, drop down to Dingle for a few and then perhaps over to Killarney spending a night or two there to enjoy the national park and maybe a trip over to the Beara peninsula. Kenmare might make it a bit easier to see Beara.

Just some options.

Bill
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM

I'd spend more time in London and Ireland and save Edinburgh for another time. Ireland takes a bit to get around because of the narrow roads, and it is a wonderful country. We spent 4 days in London, and barely scratched the surface.