Uffizi vs Accademia

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 07:10 PM
chris

Uffizi vs Accademia

Which one should we visit. We are not art afficionados, but would like to visit a museum. Does either one have more "recognizable" pieces than the other?? By recognizable, I mean...something like the "Mona Lisa" or "The Last Supper" I would consider recognizable. (BTW, I realize neither of these are there...just examples)

I believe "David" is at one?

thanks

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 07:25 PM
-------

Michelangelo's "David" is at the Accademia.

Although the Uffizi is not the most "user friendly" museum that I've visited, I very much enjoyed going there as it's a very manageable size (NOT huge like the Louvre) and I was thrilled to see several works of art that I recognized --- and had several moments when memories of my college art history class came rushing back to me (& that was 20 yrs ago, but I vividly recall my Italiano professor --- ooooooo, he spoke with that delicious accent . . .).

In your situation I can't say what you might consider to be a "recognizable" piece. If you're not an art afficionado, tain't no rule that says you have to go to the Uffizi at all !!!
And quite honestly, many people who really enjoy Florence are big art buffs, so maybe you might cut your visit here short & go to Siena instead.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 11:57 PM
Leslie

If you are indeed going to Florence and are not art lovers, at least go to the Accademia to see the David. I'm not big on art museums, but it is incredible. Make advance reservations so as to not waste time waiting in line.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Michelle

If you go to the Accademia, but are only semi-interested in art, (as I am), I suggest you hire the audio guide as the narrative brings chosen pieces to life, gives you the background and even tells you best place to stand to view. Guide does not cover everything in gallery, but you can always stop tape if something else catches your eye.

I agree with other posters that it's best to pre-book tickets to whichever gallery you choose. Last week the lines outside the Uffizi and Accademia were (by late morning) extremely long. For Accademia, (if pre-booked), you nip in via the exit (you have to show your confirmation e-mail) and then tag onto end of short line within entrance hall. By pre-booking, I was inside gallery within 5 minutes whereas others were queuing for 2 - 3 hours.

Also, if you're interested in a (very humble) restaurant that serves typical Tuscan food please feel free to e-mail me (info in travel book, not with me at present). A Florentine lady (whom I met and got chatting to in Accademia) told me it's where she goes when in town for the day. Restaurant looks pretty dire from outside but served the tastiest food I had on my three weeks holiday (which was certainly not lacking in good food!)

Have fun.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:15 AM
x

Accademia must.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Michelle

How do you go about pre-booking tickets for the museums? Can you do this online??

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:51 AM
christy

Do the text search on this board!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:57 AM
elaine

Hi
The Uffizi has some very famous paintings by Botticelli and others, including "The Rites of Spring", "The Birth of Venus" and many others of course. Still, if I had to choose one, the Accademia's David was the thrill of a lifetime, and unforgettable. Along with David are several of Michelangelo's "Prisoners".

For advance tickets to the Accademia, use www.waf.it/museires.htm
give them a couple of days to respond, they are reliable

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:22 AM
chris

Thanks to each of you.

So far, it looks like the Accademia is the one. We will be there next month, so we will get reservations for our tickets online.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Lily

Do both! You can see the Michelangelo's at the Accademia quickly and it's totally worth it, the David is amazing!!! The Uffizi is a treasure trove of amazing art, and you can see both easily as they are near each other, with the Duomo right in the middle - so it's a perfect sightseeing day. Try weekendafirenze.com for ressies (Must have these - otherwise the lines are killer)

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:48 PM
Carin

Accademia??!! You see David and everything else takes about 10 minutes. Do not miss the Uffizzi and be sure to get the head phones. Don't share or you'll wreck your friendship or marriage - spring for separate headsets/cassette players. Unfortunately we missed the Bargello, but I've heard it's wonderful!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Linda

Please, take time to do both. I am not an art "afficianado" either, but loved both of them and will return. Academia can be done in 1/2 hour, if that's all you wish to spend, and you'll still see everything. Faster if you only want to see David. Uffizi is chock full of "recognizable" paintings. Worth it doing both. Yes, you can buy tickets on line, but I can't find my reference for the URL. It's well worth doing this, it will save you a lot of time waiting in lines.