Reload this Page >

Uffizi or Accademia?

Search

Uffizi or Accademia?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Wassala

Uffizi or Accademia?

Not much into museums, but if I wanted to see one in Florence, either Uffizi or Accademia, which one would you recommend and why? About how much does it cost?<BR><BR>Wassala

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Roger

Uffizi has much more paintings. However, I believe Accademia has Michaelangelo's David and other sculptures. I prefered Uffizi except the wait was longer to get in.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Janda

You must see David. It would be a pity to be in Florence and not see it.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:09 PM
John G

Even though I work in the world of art and antiques, and consider the Uffizi one of the most important museums for Italian Renaissance and Mannerist art (not to mention the mesmerizing Cranach ADAM & EVE, and the Portinari Triptych, which I consider one of the ten greatest Western paintings ever accomplished), I think I would still recommend that if you had to choose, to choose seeing DAVID at Accamdemia. It is truely an experience that could make you cry.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:20 PM
amy

Wassala, "The David" has to win. It's one of the few things in life where expectations don't ruin your actual experience.<BR><BR>But...if you would ever want to start learning about art, the Uffizi is a great, great museum in which to do it because it's so well arranged. We all heard about the Dark Ages in school. Well,at the Uffizi, you see it. You get to see what that meant--centuries of crude, flat painting. And then, the Rebirth...room after room where each artist builds on the knowledge unearthed by the next until Michelangelo's "Holy Family" just jumps at your eyeballs. <BR><BR>But if one it has to be, the Accademia and "The David" it is--we went back three times just to see if it still was as stunning as we thought.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Deb

Ok, why can't you do both (even if you only have one day in Florence)?<BR><BR>First of all, you can go to the Accademia to see David (and only David). Once you get in (there may be a queue), you can spend 10-15 minutes gazing only at David. (You can skip the rest of the museum.)<BR><BR>Then by purchasing your Uffizi Gallery tickets beforehand you can avoid the queue wait. It is a wonderful museum (I happen to love the Botticellis that are there).<BR><BR>