Uffizi Gallery

Apr 24th, 1999, 07:16 AM
anne

Uffizi Gallery

Anyone know if its true that you can buy Uffizi tickets at the Santa Maria Novelle train station?

Apr 24th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Paulo

If you don't mind paying an extra fee, you may reserve online: http://www.weekendafirenze.com/uffizi/uffizi.htm
http://musa.uffizi.firenze.it/welcomeE.html
Paulo

Apr 24th, 1999, 07:50 AM
RJD

It may be possible to do so. I know that if you reserve in advance using the Uffizi web site or the telephone you can pick up your tickets at the train station. Did so in '97. Saves a ton of time waiting on line.

Apr 25th, 1999, 09:05 AM
elaine

I was in Florence Oct 98. I had purchased my tickets on line a month or so before, and was told to pick up my Uffizi and Accademia tickets at the train station. I went to the tourist office and my tickets were there, but I was told at that time that the process was changing and pre-ordered tickets would in the future be available at another location. I don't now recall what that other location was as I had my own tickets and wasn't thinking of the future. However, when you order your tickets on line I'm sure they'll tell you how to pick up the tickets.

Apr 25th, 1999, 11:12 AM
Debbie

Anne-just got back from Florence last month and because we traveled at the last minute,we did the 2 hour wait in line-made such wonderful new friends that we think we now have pen pals in Australia ,China and Germany to correspond with....just kidding!However, the tickets can be bought on the internet for an extra 12,000 lira fee and then are picked up on a special side door of the gallery that day. When we were there,they had had reservations booked for the next three weeks so my advice if you are unable to get prebought tickets is to go after three PM and if the weather is bad outside-thats even better! Four rooms were closed while we were there and I know that I will make alot of enemies on this one but for the time effort,etc.involved(and this was my second time as I had studied French and Italian art with a travel course in college) I enjoyed the science museum up the street with such wonder things as Galileo's telescopes,world globes from the Renaissance,Da vinci's inventions,etc.( They even had Galileo's finger encased in glass!!!!!)
Have fun and enjoy the food and wine! Debbie

Apr 25th, 1999, 02:20 PM
Walter

Anne: I was skepical when I 1st heard about this from a poster on this Forum. Today I was checking out Lonely Planets Forum (not that great) and came across their "Travelers Reports On Italy" www.lonelyplanet.com.au/letters/eur/ita_pc.htm which LP states are *unverified*. A poster stated that you can buy tickets at the train station which are used at a seperate entrance (which I *assume* would be the one to the left of the ticket line used for reserved ticket holders). I've checked-out some Florence web sites I have and none of them mention this arrangement. So it's either true or people are confusing it with picking up reserve tickets there. Regards, Walter...p.s. Debbie, I love art but I'm passionate about history/science and the Science Museum (Museo di Storia della Scienza) was also a high point of my 6 days in Florence. Not only is this museum overlooked but I watched tourists just walk *thru* the rooms with Galileo's telescopes and lens (used to discover Jupiter's moons) and instruments (and finger obliviously. Sorry starting to "Rant", I'm a Galileo Groupie)

Apr 25th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Walter

Anne: I was skepical when I 1st heard about this from a poster on this Forum. Today I was checking out Lonely Planets Forum (not that great) and came across their "Travelers Reports On Italy" www.lonelyplanet.com.au/letters/eur/ita_pc.htm which LP states are *unverified*. A poster stated that you can buy tickets at the train station which are used at a seperate entrance (which I *assume* would be the one to the left of the ticket line used for reserved ticket holders). I've checked-out some Florence web sites I have and none of them mention this arrangement. So it's either true or people are confusing it with picking up reserve tickets there. Regards, Walter...p.s. Debbie, I love art but I'm passionate about history/science and the Science Museum (Museo di Storia della Scienza) was also a high point of my 6 days in Florence. Not only is this museum overlooked but I watched tourists just walk *thru* the rooms with Galileo's telescopes and lens (used to discover Jupiter's moons) and instruments (and finger obliviously. Sorry starting to "Rant", I'm a Galileo Groupie)

Apr 25th, 1999, 02:26 PM
Walter

Apr 25th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Walter

Apr 25th, 1999, 02:28 PM
Walter

Apr 28th, 1999, 11:48 AM
cheryl

Anne-

I purchased my Uffizi tickets for my upcoming trip at the website www.weekendafirenze.com. It's about an additional 8000 lire on top of the 12000 lire ticket price. I received an e-mail a couple of days later with a reservation number, and instructions to print out the e-mail and take it directly to the Uffizi, bypassing the line. If this works as it is supposed to, it will have been well worth the approx. $5 fee per ticket. I think I would recommend it, as the last time I was in Florence (before advance tickets), I waited in line for about 2 hours.

May 2nd, 1999, 02:50 AM
larison

Yes! use the website listed above, this was the best piece of info i picked up before we left one our trip!! when we arrived to pick up our tickets (right at the museums)we walked to the front of a 3 hr. line of people waiting to get in, it was worth the extra lire.

May 2nd, 1999, 03:37 PM
cheryl

anne--I found this site which enables you to purchase tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia over the web for $15 US--there is a $5.00 charge if you need to change the dates after you reserve--here's the site

www.initaly.com/regions/uffizi.htm

I'll be there in September! Enjoy your trip!