U.S. presents for German children?

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 06:51 AM
David

U.S. presents for German children?

I will be in Germany the end of March and
I'd like to know what presents from the U.S.
German kids would like? One girl 15-17 years and one boy 13 years old. The gifts need to fit into a shoe box size container as I'll be traveling light. Music, sports clothes, blue
jeans?

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Lee

David: Clothes are probably the way to go. Especially if they like logo items like Adidas or Puma and maybe MLB, NBA or NFL stuff. If you can find it over there, it's more expensive.

In Frankfurt Sachsenhausen, there was a guy that wanted my new Nike ball cap and traded me for a new Apfelwine cap. He had to have it. It didn't matter to me and I like that one better.

All kinds of electronics are available to them over there, so I wouldn't think that would be best. Levi's aren't as popular as they used to be.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Rudy

Hi David:

I sent some German relatives gifts recently, two of which were for their grandchildren. The boy is a soccer player. I bought him a sweatshirt with a Buffalo Bills logo on it. He was thrilled to get an "American football" shirt. I wanted to avoid giving them anything they could buy easily in Germany, and also something that would seem uniquely "American" (not in a chauvinistic way). I'm considering a visit next year, and I would take a bottle of Niagara wine, the grape of which is grown in this area, for the adults. Just my feelings. The older teenagers might be harder to buy for if they are like American teens.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 01:36 PM
pam

A couple of years ago some German friends visiting my parents HAD to get an Everlast exercise outfit for their daughter. (And fyi, I believe Adidas is a German brand.) Do you know their hobbies? Our (adult) German visitors love going to sporting-goods stores. Last time one bought a "fish-finder" electronic thing--he said they were much less expensive here. THey've also bought cameras here--so maybe an inexpensive reusable 35mm camera from Target?

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Mary

Everyone seems to be steering you in the right direction. We lived in Germany for several years and all the kids wanted T-shirts and sweatshirts with American universities or ball team logos on them. Have fun!

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Peter

go with Music and Sports logo clothes. ie. NY Yankee Cap or T. or something that all kids are into ie gameboy although they may already have one
as for music get latest, there is a small delay of getting US music to europe (but here you kind of need to know the taste)

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Carol

Dear David,
I think the logo ideas are on the right track, but I wouldn't go with Nike, Adida, etc, unless you are visiting small towns. It's all available over there, maybe costs more but not as unique. I would go with US sport teams, particularly your own local teams. I wonder about the craze we have here for Old Navy and Ambercrombie and Fitch. These might be interesting, if they are popular in your area. I don't know if they are available in Germany or not. Also certain US junk foods might be fun. When we lived in Munich four years ago, the junk foods we could not get were Oreos, Doritoes, Fun Fruits. I wonder if Austin Powers stuff would be "cool" but haven't followed the movie myself and don't know if it would be appropriate. Blue jeans are more expensive but not hard to get, though certain brands may be (Guess?, Tommy Hilfiger? Something big in the US that the German department stores don't carry.) For the girl, I might also bring hair clips or the new velcro hair accessories, face glitter, a US fashion magazine. Trends seem to hit Europe before the US, so that may not be of help, but she may like getting the things anyway. Maybe a Teen People, if they read English, as the US movie scene tends to dominate.