U.S. credit cards declined online, Canadian card OK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried numerous times over the past two days to book TGV tickets online at www.voyages-sncf.com. Every time I tried to pay with two different U.S. Visa bank credit cards they were declined.

Then I tried it with a Canadian bank Visa debit card (I'm in the U.S. but have a Canadian account) and it went through immediately. It's a chip and pin card, but I was not asked for the PIN.

A few days ago, my U.S. card was declined when trying to pay an apartment deposit in Barcelona. Didn't think much of it at the time, but now I wonder ... are European vendors or banks starting to decline our antiquated cards? Anyone else had this experience?

p.s. Last year I made similar online purchases with no problems.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM

I can only speak for my own US magnetic strip cards, both credit and debit, which were used many times in Paris last month without incident. The only place our card did not work was at a self-service checkout in a Carrefour market.

I just saw another post here today or yesterday about chip and pin cards.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Have you checked with your bank to make sure *they* didn't decline it? It's possibly it showed up as suspected fraudulent activity and they chose to decline it, and until you call them and clear the charges your card will continue to have trouble? If that's not it... then I have no answer for you. Here in the US none of my VISA cards have pin and chip and most of the banks have been slow to provide them. I'm going to be doing a similar SNCF purchase in about a month so I'll look forward to hearing if there's some new wrinkle to ordering these tickets. Seems like there is plenty of discussion around this exact topic at least once or twice a year.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM

It's not the chip-and-pin, since there's no way (that I know of) for a merchant to scan a chip over the Net. One of my Canadian banks did hold my purchase of a faraway airline ticket to check that it was legit. They phoned; I said okay. So contact you cards' security numbers to give them notice in advance.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

One of the declined cards was a BofA business account, which has permanent clearance to accept transactions from Europe as we do business there. The other was a Capital One with a travel notification in effect.

I called BofA and they said there was no record of attempted transactions. So it may be that some European financial institutions are wary of some U.S. cards.

Skatterfly, I hope you have better luck. The alternative of buying from Rail Europe would have cost 60 percent more.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:49 AM

I've had my BofA Visa declined (after I called to advise them the charge would be coming through). My American Express went through without a problem.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I've never had any card declined by European vendors because it was American, the only reasons where that my card itself had blocked the purchase, which I found out after calling them. Yes, one was a Capitol One which also supposedly had a travel notification in effect. They are sometimes incompetent in inputting that information (surprise). But I can verify that SNCF doesn't decline Capitol One credit cards as a matter of principle because after they did once, I called up Cap One (who admitted they had blocked it even though I had notified them), who then changed my account to accept it, and the next day it went through.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Sometimes I've had to have my Visa card "Verified by Visa." But I've bought SNCF tickets over the Internet, no problem. Not in the last year or so, though.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM

<< are European vendors or banks starting to decline our antiquated cards?>>

Our cards are perfectly fine. The chip-and-pin system was designed of necessity due to rampant credit card theft IN EUROPE that occurred at the spot of the transaction.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM

besides, the whole chip and pin thing isn't relevant for online purchases, anyway, is it. Once I got Cap One to do what they were supposed to do, I didn't have any trouble with it on SNCF (or other sites), and never had to do that verified by visa thing, either. Of course, it wasn't a Visa, but whatever the equivalent is for MC.

I think the real issue is that American banks are the ones who've gotten real picky in recent years and are automatically blocking a lot of purchases that used to immediately go through. Amex did the same thing to me, they just automatically blocked a foreign purchase even though it wasn't from an unusual country or fishy website. I could see blocking things automatically from unusual countries known for fraud or something (like Russia, probably, I get a lot of spam from them, or Nigeria, etc.), but from the UK and France? There really isn't anything more unusual about an online purchase from there than from some other part of the US as far as I'm concerned. But those CC companies don't see it that way.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM

From reports over the years you can find that some days cards will be accepted and on other days they'd be rejected.

There's no rhyme nor reason to it.