COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

U.K. accomodation recommendations

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

U.K. accomodation recommendations

Any advice on budget hotels/ B&Bs in Bath, Lake District, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Baby Milo

We enjoyed our stay at Fair Rigg Guest House, Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria LA 23 3JB - Fair Rigg is run by a delightful couple who serve a great breakfast. Easy walk into the village and well situated to visit surrounding area. Go to www.smoothhound.co.uk to see this B&B as well as many others.

Sandy

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:44 AM
PLJ

In Edinburgh, I can recommend The Travel Inn (City Centre). The rate is ~60GBP/room. The hotel is located ~10 min walk from the west end of Princes St. Gardens. My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week in May/04. It is a basic budget hotel but we were pleased with it and would return in future.

www.travelinn.co.uk
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I strongly recommend the Castle View Guest House in Edinburgh and the Dorian House in Bath. Do a search on this website for more information. Both have websites (google for them) and should provide you with adequate information on rates.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:47 AM

And for the second time (thank you Fodors)...

I agree about the Travel Inn in Edinburgh and the Ibis and the Grassmarket Hotel are in the same league. There's a new Express by Holiday Inn that's getting a good name.

On Skye, we enjoyed the idioosyncratic Greshornish in January, but I believe it's changed hands since then
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Watched some reviews of Greshornish on tripadvisor.com. Seems the service deteriorated after the changeover.
I have tried White Heather and Braibhaigh, both are full. Checking with Rosedale Hotel now. What's your comment on this? Any other advice for similar price range?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:37 PM

The Rosedale's fine. Rooms are oddly shaped but clean. location is super- looking over the Harbour. It's not cheap, but.