Type of day bag to carry

Apr 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Type of day bag to carry

Hello, I'm fairly new here and am at the very early planning stages of a trip to Italy with my wife next summer.

With all the talk of pickpockets, etc. I'm concerned with protecting any credit cards, cameras, etc. we may want to carry with us as we sight see. What recommendations do you have as to backpacks/daypacks, etc? Is it safe to walk around with something like that? What do you carry your small items in?

This is stressing me out more than the actual planning part...I've traveled to Mexico many times and have not had to worry about this. Any recommendations?
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM

What did you use in Mexico? Use the same thing for Europe. I carry everything that I need in a regular purse. If you decide on a backpack, just remember that everytime you turn you in danger of hitting someone. I have seen this happen many times.
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM

I like to have a bag large enough for camera, wallet, travel info, and sometimes a sweater. For trips to Italy and Peru last year I used a small Swiss Army shoulder bag (one strap) with loads of great pockets. It was pretty comfortable tucked under my arm with my hand resting on the strap. I must say I never noticed any criminal types pursuing me, so my greatest problem was just looking like a geek (which I am).
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Stop stressing - it's really not that bad. However, I wouldn't go anywhere without using an under the clothing style security pouch for my passport and most of my credit cards/ATM cards. I only carry one credit card and one day's worth of cash outside of the security pouch. Both I and my husband carry small backpacks to hold things like cameras, guide books, water bottles, etc. My husband puts his one credit card/cash in a front pocket.
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM

My husband carries his wallet in his front pants pocket..or in his inside jacket pocket.
I carry guide books and camera etc in my bag, that has a strap that goes over the shoulder or across my chest..that is the way I carry it when traveling..especially on trains. Backpacks are a pain! especially to other people..I cannot tell you how many times we have been on trains and buses and had to duck being hit with one on the back of some person totally unaware!
Messenger bags are good as well as these flat sort of backpacks that strap across the chest, my son wears one ( he lives in Japan and travels all over the world with that bag)
Mexico is worse, I believe, so you can stop worrying
And we never carry bottles of water, they sell it everywhere, you can stop and take a break and have a drink anytime you need it..leaving you with one less unneccesary item to lug around with you
Apr 29th, 2005, 04:36 PM

As much as I really don't like Rick Steves, his website actually does have a good sized useful day pack, the civita day pack. Check into it, its a bit smaller sized than a normal back pack, but well sized for day tours.
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM

You should carry your passport, credit cards, and cash in a money belt or pouch underneath your clothing. The belts are just that and the pouch goes around your neck and tucks under your shirt. That way you don't have to constantly worry about pickpockets. I would think twice about a backpack, as it leaves you very vunerable to thieves. A messanger bag is a good idea, as you keep it in front of your body. When I was in France I just carried a somewhat large purse - your wife might want to do that. Make sure it has a zipper and not just a snap closure, and always keep the tab on the zipper to the front. The combo of my money belt and a death grip on my purse gave me peace of mind without being overly concerned!
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:32 PM

the best type of daypacks have good ventilation and good compression straps. go to rei if you have one near and try a few daypacks they have. i love the deuter line as they have the best ventilation possible. also look at camelbak packs and just take out the hydration bit...they are really good packs as well.
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM

ucsun,
I'm just totally curious here, what is the great need for alot of ventilation?
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I AGREE WITH ISABEL AFTER 4 TRIPS TO EUROPE FROM OUR FIRST TRIP WE USED A THIN ENVELOPE WHERE WE CARRIED OUR PASSPORTS , A COPY OF OUR SPOUSES PASSPORT, OUR CREDIT CARDS, ATM CARD AND ANY LARGE BILLS IF WE HAD THEM. THESE WERE WORN INDIDE OUR CLOTHING. YOU CAN FIND THEM AT MAGELLANS {SP]TRAVEL STUFF. I DIDN'T MIND GOING INTO A BANK AND PULLING UP MY TOP TO GET TO MY POUCH. I CARRIED A SMALL OVER THE SHOULDER BAG WITH SMALL BILLS, LIPSTICK, COMB, TOILET PAPER, ETC.
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Mary,
Caps off please, its hard to read and frightening
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Traveler863,
the ventilation helps keeping your back cool. with normal back/daypacks they sit tight against your back and trap heat. this leads to extra sweating. with better back/daypack, the pack has different ways allowing air to flow, which will keep you cooler. some have pods, grooves, or built-in frames to allow for the trap heat to get out.

and especially in summer, you'll even be hotter than normal and more sweating. maybe just me, but i feel much better walking around all day without feeling all hot and bothered w/ my pack.
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM

ucsun,
I hear you, and thats goood logic. But how does this particular backpack allow extra airflow? I would assume it must be designed with some ridgedness to keep the pack away from your back? If ridged not sure thats always great either, hard to pack, more difficult handling. Please explain in more detail, I leave in about 6 weeks and doing alot of hiking and day trips with pack. Inputs are always great. Thanks.
Apr 29th, 2005, 09:49 PM

best thing to do is to go to:

deuter.com
or
deuterusa.com

go to products, go to hiking, take a look at the futura 28 and look at the design. it's much easier than trying to put it in words.

the camelbak lines has extra padding in a few parts of the back that allows channels of air to flow. but nothing like the deuter packs. you could look at berghaus packs, but they're only sold in europe (you could pick one up there).
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM

ucsun,
Ok I found the website and I see what you are talking about, it appears in the pictures to create a type of cave so you have a space there on your upper back. However, for just light hiking or day tripping to towns one wouldn't need such a serious pack. When I look at it I think that a good 4-5 hut to hut type pack for Europe, no?
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:11 PM

the 28L is around 1700 cubic inches...not too big. for hikes or long days, it's nice. it looks bigger than it is because of the cavity for the back.

for shorter day trips or minimalists, the camelbaks are good too...look at the blowfish or rim runner. the blowfish is small but can extend a bit by unzipping to yield more space. i used the blowfish last year and it was great. this year, i am debating vs taking the deuter and more size vs the smallish blowfish. i'm torn myself.

Apr 29th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Our hiking can be long and strenuous but we always leave from our rented apt or hotel, set off for the day, return to hotel. My son loves his camelbak but wants a duplex you could say? A hydro pack that also has space for other items. Current hydro pack he has is just that, space for the water and thats it. I for one don't think hydro pack is a necessary thing, but then again I'm an old fart and hard to change but can be changed. Right now I like my simple backpack, smaller sized, enough for a litre or two of water, a sandwich and my camera...that's pretty much it. Any thought are welcomed. How about hiking boots, what's your take on those? Or I think with that I should start a new thread? You have good info.
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM

ucsun,
I created a new thread, "Hiking....." to better accommodate this further discussion. Please post responses there. Happy travels.
Apr 30th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I use a bag known as the "travel purse" from Eagle Creek. They have a lot of other similar types of bags that are very good for traveling. I wore the bag crosswise over by shoulder. It has a ton of little compartments so it carried my maps, water, camera and credit cards and money. My kids called it the fortress because I could double lock the area where there was money. If we were in a crowd, I just put my hand on it. Husband used a neck pouch. Also from eagle creek.
Apr 30th, 2005, 06:43 AM

All the above are good and have used many of them, at the moment a travel purse from QVC has been wonderful (across the shoulder and in two sizes), however at times I also use a travel vest which, like a photographers or fishing vest, has many pockets and I have even added a few INSIDE the vest. So when you want to wear that, you can leave the purse home. Both work well. To each his own. Have a good trip. Halfpint

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO