Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two young adults traveling alone, are we safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are planning a trip next summer(2004)to visit London, France, Switzerland and Italy. We are both in our early 20's. Any cause to be worried? Any pointers to what areas to be more cautious of?

*Also, I haven't found any plane tickets lower than $1300. Flying from Austin, Tx to Switzerland. Am I looking too soon? Should I fly into another country? What price range should I be looking for? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
lyb

You're definitely looking too soon for your airline tickets. When you look at prices about a year out, it's always outrageous, look closer to the date, start about six months before, I find usually that 2 - 3 months out the prices get better.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think your best fares will be flying from Dallas/Ft. Worth to London. If you haven't been to Europe before, London is a great city to start out in, because there will be so many new experiences for you without having to also deal with a new language as well. Keep checking with the airline websites; around January or February they usually sink to their lowest.

As for caution, there's nothing to be afraid of, less so I think than walking around your own town. Once you set an itinerary, if you ask the question again about specific cities, I think we can help you a little better.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're definitely looking too soon. Start scoping the airfares out after the first of the year. But you ought to be able to cut that $1300 price in half if not more especially if you fly into London. You can get cheapie fares to the rest of Europe from there.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Intrepid

Frankly, whether or not you'll be "safe" (and from what you haven't told us) will depend a great deal on what you look like.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Though Italy is my favorite country, crime is more prevalent there especially Naples area (though don't pass up Sorrento/Amalfi heaven!). When in transit with luggage, try to get to your hotel before dark. You are a target for pickpockets with luggage. Also don't except food or drink from strangers especially on trains. I have known Americans that were drugged and robbed in both Italy and Morrocco.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great tips. I figured I was looking too soon, but I am so excited and want to make it more certain by buying a ticket. I have backed out of so many opportunities but this is a college graduation present to myself so I am definately going this time!! My boyfriend is worried about 2 girls going by ourselves.(He can't get away from his job)
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Ral, if you would feel safe making a trip with your friend to a major American city, such as New York, Chicago, or LA, then I don't think you have any reason to feel less safe in Europe. If you have led such a sheltered life that you would <i>not</i> feel safe traveling in the US, then you will not feel safe in Europe either. You may experience some slight discomfort because things are done a bit differently -- it can take a few days to get used to different currency, different street signs, different manners -- however some advance reading should help prepare you.

Enjoy your adventure!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I think the safety concerns would just be usual tips about traveling, strangers, taking care of belongings, etc. The same advice you should follow in any big city, but being more careful and cautious because as a foreigner, you may have your attention diverted more or just be a little more out of your element.

As for airfare, it is way too early to book, but I think Switzerland is usually one of the more expensive places to fly to. You will probably save a lot on the airfare by rearranging your itinerary to fly to/from London or Paris. I don't really know about costs from Austin, though.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Ral04,

I recently purchased roundtrip flights from Houston to London (non-stop) for $550 for travel at the end of May. (My flight is on British Airways, but Continental had comparable prices.) I understand that you can get extremely cheap flights within Europe on carriers such as EasyJet (think Southwest prices or less). Maybe this is an option for you.

Otherwise, I've flown into Milan for travel to Switzerland, but summer prices tend to be pretty high.

Susan
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM

Be sure to pack your common sense and you and your friend will do just fine. I am way more paranoid when I have to go to LA (bullet smacked my car hood on the 405 a few months ago - I bet it was Thingorjus) then when I am running a muck in London, France or Italy.

BTW koodos to you for finishing college AND being able to afford a European vacation! The real education is about to begin!

Check out the Mezzogiorno post for a glimpse of what could be in store for you.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 03:39 AM
ira

Calamari says:
&gt;....when I am running a muck in London, France or Italy. &lt;

Hey Calamari,
I used to be a muck runner for a British mucking company when I was younger.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all that have replied. It has hepled me out tremendously, especially you, Marilyn! I will definately be using this site many more times in the future. I am a travel virgin when it comes to Europe. You can't imagine how long I have dreamed to go! I want it to be the perfect trip and yall have been so kind. (I only recently dicovered this website.)
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You seem to be interested, so I'd encourage you to &quot;study&quot; for your trip. Especially for a first time to Europe. I belive, safety issues often spring from inexperience or naivete.

Switzerland is very safe but expensive, London doesn't have a language barrier, etc. Too many things along these lines to list in considering possible destinations...

Posting and reading here on Fodors (also Lonely Planet Thorn Tree has a lively Western Europe branch, more aimed at budget/backpack but lots of younger and very experienced travelers there) is good. Rick Steves' Europe thru the Backdoor is a wonderful guidebook not so much about specific sites to see or where to go, although he does offer some itineraries, but about philosophy of traveling abroad, logistics, packing.

For safety I feel you need to be prepared to pack light (dragging around a huge suitcase is no fun and could make you a target), access to sufficient funds (and use a money belt), have some idea of an itinerary so you aren't left wandering around in a strange town in a bad area looking for a room (for example).

Hope some of these ideas are helpful to get you started. It does seem a bit early to me to purchase tickets. And flying into someplace other than Switzerland might be cheaper (check London and Paris). Also consider booking &quot;open jaw&quot; where you fly into one city and out of another. Sometimes this is no more expensive and it saves you &quot;backtracking&quot; at the end of your trip.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Calamari, you won't hate me if I tell you it's &quot;running amok&quot;, will you?
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Suze-I assume Rick Steve...was a book? Any library or book store? How about Lonely Panet? A website? Sorry, just a little confused, thanks for the help.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Rick Steves has written a well-known series of books on Europe. He is both loved and hated on this forum, but I think as a first-time traveler it would be useful reading for you.

Lonely Planet is a series of guidebooks, also a website. Check out Rough Guide, Eyewitness, Fodors (of course!) for other books. Go to the library or your nearest large bookstore and browse the travel section. (But please <b>buy</b> from your local independent bookseller!)
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Marilyn - OOPS. Thanks for correcting me. It was 2:00 AM and I was half asleep, but I may have made that mistake even if I was fully awake.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Was thinking in terms as in &quot;mucking about&quot;.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Yes you will be safe. I have taken many solo trips to Europe as a teenager and in my early twenties. Cheapest cities for me to fly into from Toronto are Paris and London. I could give you lots of tips from my trip route from two summers ago--I went London, Belgium, Switzerland and France (flew into London out of Paris)--very simple to fit Italy in there as well. send me an email if you would like more info. I was travelling on a very tight budget and enjoyed myself very much. [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -