Reload this Page >

Two weeks, two towns - best combo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Roberta

Planning third trip to Italy and have "done" the big three. I 'd like to base myself in two towns or cities and spend a week in each. Appreciate your suggestions about pairing two towns or cities which would be interesting in and of themselves and are good bases for day trips.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:24 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You do not say when, but my choice would be Castelrotto and Montalcino.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Roberta

Thanks, Bob. I'm thinking last two weeks of May but times are flexible.<BR>For Montalcino + Castelrotto, fly in and out of Malpensa?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:18 AM
dean

i would also look at Castellina in Chianti for a tuscan base. I would recomend Cagli in Marche for an out of the way place to stay. Near the Grotti di frassassi, the Dorati Bronze statues in Pergola, Urbino etc.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It would be ideal to fly into Rome and out of Milan or Venice. The alternative to me would be Montalcino and Portovenere, depending if you want the coast or the mountains. Tell us more about your interests.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Hiho

I would suggest Lucca and Sorrento.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Roberta

Thank you Bob, Dean and HiHi for intriguing suggestions. What are my interests? Towns and cities whose residents have a life besides tourism. Non-frenetic pace. Some good museums - not necessarily large but but good quality. (like the Sienese museums in Buonconvento and Montalcino) Good, honest regional food and wine. A lively market. Cafes for people watching. Pretty countryside. Comfortable accomodations (Ideally we'd like to rent an apartment for a week) A good passegiata in the evening. We're looking for a vacation not a marathon. <BR>I loved Verona for all the above reasons. Are there other places - big and small - like that?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

If the town itself becomes the primary feature, then I agree with Lucca as a viable option. I saw the day trip aspect as primary and love the many varied venues within an hours drive of my choices--especially in the Dolomites and Trentino. From Lucca you can do Pisa, the Garfagnana, and the Cinque Terre--all within 1:30. Italy has so many good choices it is hard to go wrong

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:33 PM
russ

Lucca has the best passegiata that I have seen, also a wonderful outdoor antique market, but I don't know which days. I could easily base myself there.<BR><BR>If you want an excellent small city museum, go to the Etruscan museum in Volterra. The city itself is also charming, and in beautiful countyside not far from San Gimignano.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Wayne

I'd do Lucca and Urbino--two old towns with lots of character and charm, yet quite different so you get two kinds of ambience. And both make good bases for exploring the area nearby.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:42 PM
mritsbettersouthof rome

Dare you go South.<BR>How about Matera and Siricusa

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Corri

Roberta,<BR>My husband and I spent two fabulous weeks in Italy last July on our honeymoon. We spent time in Venice, Tuscany, Rome and Positano, and without we'll definitely be heading back to Tuscany and Positano for two weeks sometime in the next few years! I'd recommend staying a week in Tuscany--we stayed in a resort near Monteriggioni and loved the area. From there you can visit Monteriggioni, San Gimiginano, Castellini in Chianti, Siena, small towns like Colle de Elsa, etc. For the second week, I'd recommend Postiano--without a doubt, we found it so romantic, relaxing, has lots of restaurants and shops, etc. From Positano, you can visit Sorrento, Pompei, etc. Good luck with your planning.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Roberta

Thank you all for your suggestions. A mixed bag of questions: Is a Tuscany to Positano or Sorrento drive do-able on one day? Or the Matera to Siracusa drive + ferry leg? Is the Marche coast a confortable day trip from Urbino? <BR><BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:26 AM
dean

Urbino to the coast is under an hour but a windy one unless you back track to the ss3. <BR><BR>Tuscany to Positano is an easy drive of 6 or so hours. Less if you drive like I do... we had an Audi and I was doing 180+ km/h.<BR><BR>Urbino is a very nice town but I would stay in the countryside like Cagli or around Gola di Furlo or Acqualngna. Smaller, more coutryside, lots of day trips possible. Great residence you can rent called Torre del Sasso in Cagli. Great place to stay.<BR><BR>For Toscana, Monteriggioni is very near Castellina in Chianti which is a great little town. Crowded in July and August but empty most of the rest of the year. Great place to base as its central to everything. Lots of good food-- Gallopappa, Il Pestello, Cantoneria, Bar Orso and Sangallo.