two weeks June 2020 Seville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our son, his girlfriend and my husband and I are planning two weeks to Seville and area in June. We like hiking, shopping, wine tasting, swimming, biking...two travellers prefer beaches and relaxing while the other two want to get up and go all day into the evening. Wondering if we should plan day trips to Cordoba and Cadiz and elsewhere and if renting a car is worthwhile or alternate transport to be used. If you've done a similar trip we'd love to hear from you. Wide open to suggestions. We wonder if any one has rented a fabulous villa in the area which they'd recommend.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 07:16 PM
kja

A car is not needed for most things in the area. You can easily reach Cordoba, Malaga, Ronda, and other locations by public transportation. Check rome2rio for your options.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:06 AM

The term villa implies countryside or beachside to me, I presume that's what you mean? If you want to do this beach thing, you may need a car as it isn't always that convenient to get to/from them by public transport with all your stuff. Sometimes it's not too bad, there are some beaches near Malaga that aren't far (and Cadiz, I think). If you want villas, I think you have to have a car because by definition, they are not urban. And then there could be sparse public transportation.

You can do some hiking near Malaga if you are really up for that in summer. At least June isn't as bad as later on. And they have a nice walkway alongside the water where you can probably ride bikes.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 01:31 PM

Your plan so far seems very loose. Are you also interested in history, culture, and beautiful Moorish architecture? Two weeks is a good amount of time. I would spend at least 2 nights in Cordoba. Cordoba is a lovely city, one of my favorites, and in addition to the magnificent Mezquita, it has other interesting sites. And Cordoba is beautiful at night with the illuminated Mezquita, Roman Bridge, and after all the day trippers have gone home, it is so much quieter at night.

You didn't mention Granada. The Alhambra in Granada is amazing, and one of the most beautiful sites I have seen. I know everyone travels for different reasons, but I can't imagine going to Andalucia for 2 weeks and not seeing the Alhambra.

I haven't stayed in a villa, so can't give you any advise there. However, this is what I would recommend for a 2-week trip to Andalucia:
Seville - 5 nights if you want to see Seville leisurely (and possible day trip to Cadiz)
Cordoba - 2 nights
Granada - 3 nights
Malaga - 2 - 4 nights (4 nights if you want beach time there)
Or you could certainly visit Cadiz. I haven't been there so not sure if you should see Cadiz as a day trip or stay for several nights.
I agree that the promenade in Malaga that Christina mentions would be great for bike riding. June will be hot in Andalucia, so not sure about hiking. That's up to you if you don't mind hiking in the heat.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

<<.two travellers prefer beaches and relaxing while the other two want to get up and go all day into the evening. >>

Whose preferences get priority ?
Also, what type of hiking and biking you normally do?

I have watched with envy men my age do over a 100 kilometers a day with some serious climbs on the roads between Ronda and Antequera.

My son did a couple of via ferratas near Ronda,

There are many hiking areas about 2 hour drive from Seville, El Torcal near Antequera, for example.

Parque Natural Sierra de Horachuelos is about 1 hour north of Seville.

Having a car will give you a chance to explore the country side and discover your own special places.

Use your imagination, without it, you will get trapped in the usual "train to Seville, must see Granada, day in Cordoba" loop.

A few recent pictures from El Torcal and some hilltop castle on the way to Ronda.

Last edited by cdnyul; Jan 6th, 2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 07:50 AM

I think Karenwoo's itinerary is great. I don't think of Spain as a beach destination but Cadiz has a nice beach and lots of charm and culture, so I would end up there for a couple nights if you have to have beach time. Further south are also nice beach towns like Conil or Vejer but you would need a car for that area.