Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Two weeks in Switzerland, Perhaps Neighboring Countries?

Two weeks in Switzerland, Perhaps Neighboring Countries?

Jul 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Two weeks in Switzerland, Perhaps Neighboring Countries?

Hello,
Initially I was going to Switzerland to work on a farm through WWOOF but the farm cancelled. So, now I have two full weeks to spend in Switzerland and perhaps even venture out into neighboring countries. Any itinerary ideas will be appreciated! I think two weeks is a lot of time for such a small country but I would havte to cancel my airfare. Ideas? Thank you!!
Jul 20th, 2012, 05:26 AM

It is easy to combine the Italian Lakes with Switzerland..such as fly into Milan, visit Italy's western lakes, Maggiore, Orta, then drive north to Switzerland, visit Berner Oberland, drive east to area outside of St. Moritz, stay a few days, then drive south to Lake Como, return to Milan.
Jul 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM

My wife and I are spending 15 days in Switzerland next year and are sorry we don't have more time.
Jul 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Different folks, different strokes. I would be bored (and broke) with two weeks in Switzerland. Of course, i used to live there. If you combine with Northern Italy, you will see a nice mix.

You could do a loop from Zurich, heading into the graubunden, then down into Italy. It really depends on how you like to travel.
Jul 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM

I don't think boredom would be a problem - but cost might be. Switz is much more expensive than Germany, Austria or Italy would be (WAY more expensive than the US). If you can afford it there is plenty to keep you occupied in Switz for two weeks.

If you want other things to see/do - consider Italian lakes, Alsace (Strasbourg, Colmar and the wine road - are only about an hour from Basle) or perhaps southern Germany of western Austria - Innsbruck for a few days).
Jul 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Hi daria26,

In contrast to the other posters above, I think two weeks is a good amount of time to get a basic introduction to the country.

Remember that Switzerland has four distinct areas/cultural influences -- French, German, Italian, and Romansch. You could spend four or five days in each one of them and never get bored or run out of things to do. Fying in/out of Zürich, here's one plan:

Go immediately to St. Moritz, stay 3 nights; take the Glacier Express scenic train to Zermatt, stay 3 nights; go to Montreux, stay 3 nights; take the Golden Pass scenic train to the Jungfrau area, stay 3 nights; go to Luzern or Zürich for 1 or 2 nights before your flight out.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:38 AM

I agree fully with swandav2000! I even can't understand that somebody who says he lived in the country can tell you that two weeks is too much.
You even could come an other two weeks after your visit if you go with "s's" recommendation and you would easily find other areas which are completely different from these ones (for exemple the Jura mountains, Appenzell, Central Switzerland etc etc).
I lived here all my life long and I can not get enough of this country.
pore
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! What temperatures shall I expect? I know in the mountains it can get chilly... So a sweatshirt and jeans? Thanks!!
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM

Hi again,

What time of year will this be? Where did you decide to go/stay?

Jeans are really uncomfortable for any hiking, and if they get damp, they'll be damp for days. Sweatshirt will also be bad for wet weather, which is pretty likely anywhere in Switzerland.

If you can give us some more information, we can help you get ready for your trip.

s
Aug 4th, 2012, 01:01 AM

I could easily spend a full two weeks in the BO alone, and that's from someone who has been to Switzerland 7-8 times.

Cost is definitely a factor though. Apartments are a good option for stays of a week or more, particularly in the low season - you can save a lot of money by self-catering. Get yourself a train pass and go.

Search this Thread