Two weeks in Spain

Search

Two weeks in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks in Spain

We like traveling and exploring on our own rather than with a tour group. We are two active seniors. Is Spain doable and safe by ourselves?
Can we drive from place to place?
Not sure of our itinerary yet but we want to go to Granada, Seville, Toledo,Madrid and
Barcelona. Can we do it.? Thought we would start in Lisbon, go across southern Spain , then head north to Madrid and then perhaps take a train or drive from Madrid to Barcelona and fly home from there. Are we too ambitious?
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Is the objective of your trip to drive in Spain and the cities mentioned are merely places to spend the nights?
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Not in two weeks.

In the box above which says view by country put in Spain. There have been many discussions on how much Spain one can see in two weeks.

There is some pickpockets in the larger cities but there is very little violent crime.

I would also recommend a guide book so you can select sites and cities that appeal to you so you can have a better sense of how much you need.

My wife and her sister who was 73 at the time walked 500 miles across Northern Spain last year and stayed in co-ed dorms, if that is of any comfort.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM

We're in our early 60s and went to Spain for less than two weeks, two years ago - and found it more charming and beautiful than we'd expected! We flew into Madrid (3 nights), trained to Granada (2 nights), rented a car and stayed near Ronda (2 nights), drove to Seville and dropped off the car (3 nights). We had NO problems with safety, and few driving problems outside of the cities - if you have a really good map. In Seville, forget it. No signs. The only way we found the car drop-off was because it was at Santa Justa train station.

I agree with the other posters, two weeks to see southern Spain plus Madrid plus Toledo plus Barcelona is too much. Perhaps drop Barcelona this time?

As they said, look into the Spain forum and see what others have done.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM

I will also suggest that you take it a bit easier. Some things on your list will should be dropped. What really depends on your idea of what Spain is about.
If you are driving then hire a car in one country and drop off in the same, because the repatriation fees are high. A car is not of great use when exploring cities either.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your comments. Our aim is to see the cities. If it is better to take trains , we would rather not drive. Does anyone have a sugggested itinerary?
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Just got back from a 18 day Spain trip. Flew into Madrid,took a day trip by train (AVE) approx 30 minutes to Toledo, Departed Madrid for Barcelona by train (AVE). Flew on Vuelling Air from Barcelona to Granada. Picked up rental car in Granada and drove to Ronda, Drove from Ronda to Tarifa. Took Ferry from Tarifa to Tangiers for a day trip. Departed Tarifa for Seville where we turned in car. Took train (AVE) to Madrid where we flew back home.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM

or
start in Barcelona: 4 days ( get over the jet-lag)
fly Vueling to Granada : 2 days
train or bus to Seville : 3 days
AVE to Madrid 4 days ( trip to Toledo or Segovia)
home from Madrid
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 07:01 AM

I would skip Barcelona this time. I would drive as little as possible. The trains are great in Spain and even the bus is strangely comfortable. I would stay a good deal of time in Seville (3 nights). I would also stay in Granada 2 or 3 nights. I would rent a car to drive around Andalucia at some point (they're useless in Seville and Granada and a hassle). This leaves you time to drive or bus to places like Cadiz, Jerez, Cordoba, Ronda and end up in Malaga where you can take the high speed train to Madrid for 3 or 4 nights and Toledo.