Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Weeks in France & Italy. Help me plan!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I fly into Paris on Saturday Sept 15 and out of Rome on Saturday Sept 29. Not much time, but it's what I've got to work with.

Here's the route I'd planned:
Paris - Nice - Cinque Terre - Florence - Rome

I'm open to suggestions on places I should / shouldn't go, and how long I should spend in each area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Without knowing who you are - and what interests you have - it's really very difficult to give any specific advice. Also - how are you planning on traveling? Train? Car?
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM

To add to the questions: have you been to any of these places before? You have about 13 days which means an average of a little over 2 days at each destination when you factor in travel between cities. If you like to travel at a fast pace, you will be able to visit all of the places you listed and get a bit of an overview. Give us some context so that we can be of more help.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Female, traveling solo. Looking for a fast paced, cultural experience. While I love art and architecture, I'm not interested in spending too much time inside galleries. I'd rather be exploring streets and neighbourhoods.

I've been to Paris. Have never been anywhere else in France or Italy. Traveling by train / plane.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Five hotels in 14 nights. Nearly 17 hours spent on trains.

Four half-days (minimum) lost to traveling between destinations, which leaves only 11 full days to see 5 places.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Are you going by train - I would if I were solo and covering those types of distances - for lots of great info on French and Italian trains I always spotlight these superb sites - www.voyages-sncf.com (official site of French National Railways) and www.trenitalia.com (Italian State Railways) - for schedules and fares and on each the ability to purchase discounted tickets online (which however may be un-changeable nor refundable and for a specific train and which to get, as the are sold in limited numbers, book weeks or months in advance and have you itinerary set in concrete that cannot be changed.) - other great sites for planning trains in France and Italy - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

You could also consider the France-Italy Railpass valid on trains in France and Italy - you are traveling enough to make it pay off if you want flexibility to decide which trains to take as you go along - otherwise the discounted train-specific tickets that must often be booked weeks in advance could well be the cheapest bet. France-Italy pass is TMK not sold in France - only in US, Canada, Australia, etc.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Do you hike? If not, you might want to spend a little less time in Cinque Terre and a little more in Rome. To simplifiy and cut down on time spent on trains, you could fly from Paris to Pisa, cutting out Nice and visit Cinque Terre and Florence easily from there. I wouldn't stay in Pisa but train to CT and when you are done there, train to Florence.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM

It is a very long train ride from Nice to le Cinque Terre, and once you are in the villages of le Cinque Terre, there aren't many streets and neighborhoods. They are tourist villages, rather tiny. You might find it more interesting to stopover on your way south in Camogli or Rapallo, or even spend a night in Sestri Levante and just visit le Cinque Terre with a quick train ride. That way, you would experience some very Italian streets and neighborhoods.

I wouldn't stay too long on the Italian Riviera. The ride from Nice down the coast is scenic, and so that isn't really "lost" time. You just want to stay long enough to stretch your legs and eat some nice pasta with pesto. If you arrive one afternoon before sunset, stay the next full day and night, and head on the next morning, that will be refreshing and enough.

If all you want to do in Florence is walk around neighborhoods, 2.5 days there should be enough. Take a late afternoon train to Rome, but try to arrive before dark so it is easier to find your hotel.

Hope you have fun! If it is raining on the Riviera, don't bother stopping. Go to Lucca or Pisa instead, or go a day early to Florence and then Rome too.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies!

Do you think it's safe, as a single female, to travel on a sleeper train alone? I'd be in 4 person couchette, from Paris to Genoa.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM

i would cut CT
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you noticed the number of train changes the Paris-Genova journey involves, what time of night/morning the changes are, and the length of the wait between trains?
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

the only transfer is at around 5am in Milan. Approximately 45 minutes between trains.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 06:42 AM

I didn't find the train trip along the northern Italian Riviera all that scenic. Seemed like we spent most of the time in tunnels. The part in France east of Nice goes along the water; it's nice.

And I agree. Too much time travel time, too little time in the places you came to see. But it sounds now like you're skipping Nice. It's a wonderful place to walk the streets enjoying the Belle Epoque architecture. And it's a great base for daytrips by bus or train. I'd be more inclined to skip the Cinque Terre.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:55 AM

If you are going from Paris to Salerno, you might as well fly. See if you can get a flight from Paris to Naples.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My ideal trip would be Paris, then overnight train or fly to Venice. Then train to Florence. Train to Rome.

Neither Nice or CT have ever had a big draw for me personally. And I adore Venice.

When I'm traveling solo I find it's easiest to stick with major cities. But that's just me.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 10:23 AM

I would bag CT - really only several tiny towns clinging to the side of a cliff with hiking paths in between. Not a lot else to see or do.

IMHO the south of France is fantastic and Nice is a good base since it has transit to everywhere - along the coast to see other beach towns, into the hills to see historic old villages and small but wonderful museums, and you can even spend a day in Monte Carlo (but bring big $ and pretend you are in a James Bond movie.)

And no - I would not occupy a sleeper with 3 strangers - even if I didn't think it would be really uncomfortable.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:07 PM

I just got back from a trip to Paris, Venice, Florence, CT and Rome. I absolutely loved the CT! If you love the ocean, nature and a more laid back atmosphere, don't skip it. I found it a really nice break between Florence and Rome.