Two weeks in France

Search

Two weeks in France

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks in France

This will be my husband's and my first trip to France. We are going for 2 weeks and are traveling with another couple. The Champagne region is on my list and the WWII beaches are a must for him. Mont St. Michel is a must for me! What would the France experts recommend for a town to stay in the Normandy region? I'd like to use this stop for both the WWII experience and Mont St. Michel. I want to feel like I'm in old world France, if it's possible. Driving from this area to Reims; what would you recommend for a point to do an overnight between this two areas? Looking for culture, gothic or medieval, cathedrals and quaint villages, if possible. If you have hotel recommendations, our budget per night is up to250 euros per night, with one luxury (castle?) hotel (up to 800 euros) that night. We will be doing a Paris bookend of 7 days, with the middle 7 days being for Normandy and Reims. I appreciate any advice/guidance you can offer.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM

From Paris take train to Caen and pick up rental car and drive to Bayeux - lovely old town - one of few not decimated in area during WW2 and great base for doing D-Day beaches nearby - then drive over to M Saint Michel and stay either in gaggle of hotels on mainland opposite the Mont or on the island itself - easier access to your hotel with ones on mainland. Then blitz over via autoroute skirting Paris to Reims area. Return car in Reims and take train back to Paris or drive directly to CDG Airport from Reims. Epernay is a nice smaller town base and really the Champagne capital though major houses have establishments in both cities and Reims has far more of interest than Epernay besides Champagne Cave/House tours.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Boy, you've got a fairy tale on your hands. France is a real place, not an "old, quaint world." "Gothic or medieval". 800 euros a night? Seriously And you want "quaint?"

Last edited by Moderator1; Sep 6th, 2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: unnecessarily sarcastic
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Glad to give you a shocker for today. Dry your tears and carry on.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 01:42 PM

Amboise on Loire could be a stop though a bit off direct course and Chateau de Pray there is a chateau-hotel that many here really like and though not medieval or whatever Amboise is a nice smaller town with its own great chateau. Next day maybe hit Chenonceau the consensus most beautiful chateau of the Loire Valley, on the way out - very close to Amboise.

Charming hotel in Amboise | Château de Pray 4 stars | OFFICIAL SITE

Last edited by PalenQ; Sep 5th, 2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:10 AM

maeves:

Since you will be in Reims, and have an interest in such things, please consider visiting the Basilica of St. Remi.

St Remi is truly one of the most gorgeous, spiritually and historically evocative buildings I've ever visited. I recommend this here often, and I've yet to read that someone actually went there.

There were 3 of us visiting Reims together. One used the last afternoon for a champagne house or cave or whatever they're called. Two of us went to see St Remi. Our friend was disappointed that she hadn't come with us.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM

No specific info but when DH and I took a one-day chateau tour out of Paris, he and I both agreed that the area between Amboise Castle and Paris looked inviting.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 07:08 AM

and another thing: Here on Fodors there was once a report on visiting a medieval castle between Paris and Reims (very roughly the direction I recall). It was redone but quite lovely. Rushing to a meeting; maybe more later.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 08:57 AM

I'd recommend Bayeux for your place to stay in Normandy. It's less than a 2 hr drive to Mont St Michel from there, and it's a great point for visiting WWII beaches and sites. It's relatively small and quaint, also (versus Caen which is a larger city). In fact, numerous of the WWII day tour companies depart from a central point in Bayeux, so you might consider using one of them for your WWII tour as they have good itineraries and good guides. Makes it a lot easier than doing it yourself, but that's up to you. Bayeux has a few sites of interest of its own, of course, including the tapestry.

For a place between Bayeux and Reims, you might consider Compiegne. It's a very nice town, although no village, so not sure if it's quaint enough for you, but take a look. The chateau there is nice to visit and the center is very attractive.
https://www.francethisway.com/places/compiegne.php

One good thing about larger towns like that is you have a better hotel selection than in some village which may not have any.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I found a nice apartment in Bayeux (hotels are booked). I am currently looking into Compiegne and Amboise on Loire for our next stop. You were right, Bayeux is exactly what I was looking for...and older quaint village with Norman charm. St. Remi looks like a beautiful cathedral and I don't think I could ever see too many of them.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 08:10 PM

The Loire is somewhat far out of the way. Spend some time with www.viamichelin.com and determine if the Loire is possible for a "stopover". For example, it is 3 1/2 hrs from Bayeux to Chenonceaux. Then 4 1/2 hrs to Reims. So if you depart Bayeux at 9:00 you'll get to Chenonceaux at 12:30. Check into a hotel, and be ready to go at 1:30. We've visited the Chateau there numerous times & it takes 1/2 day to really enjoy the gardens & Chateau. Plus mid-day "in season" it will be shoulder to shoulder crowded (we usually get there when it opens at 9AM). Next day, visit another chateau (Chambord?) and then depart at noon and get to Reims at 4:00. Check into the hotel & ready to go at 5:00 (not much time to do stuff). So, you have spent 2 days visiting 2 wonderful chateaux - and not much else. You could spend 1 1/2 days visiting only 1 chateau - but why go all the way to the Loire to only visit 1 chateau??? There are some very nice chateaux around Reims. However, I did not see "chateau" on your wish list.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by maeves
Wow! Glad to give you a shocker for today. Dry your tears and carry on.
Waw. Glad I saw this comment. I was able to try and help you, but I won't. don't want to get such a remark from you. Get yourself a Travel Advisor, since you like to throw away money - and that doesn't make us cray, beleive me.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being positive, the Seine has a number of classy hotels along its length and of course Giverney is worth a couple of hours stop over.

Bayeaux is a good place to stop for Normandy but it is a painful hack over to St Michel, if I had the time I'd try and stay over one night on the island.

For staying in Champagne I don't know anywhere that is that expensive (way out of my league) but Epernay has a fantastic B&B on the Avenue which is really special but only for E120 so not of interest?
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

I think I need to clarify! I don’t necessarily WANT to spend $850 euro for a luxury hotel/accommodation, but would be willing to go that high, if necessary, for one night.

Having been to may other European countries, I have seen luxury accommodations listed up to 699 euros. I was accounting for inflation. I have stayed in a castle or two for 500-600. Again, for one night, only.

I have found great great prices for nice lodging throughout my itinerary and it makes a one night splurge very doable for us.

I knew new if I asked on this forum that I would get sound advice and thank you for that. I’ve actually changed my itinerary because of you. I’m looking into a place to stay on MSM now. An evening and morning stay sounds charming.

Im actually considering either giving up Loire or Champagne to enjoy one area more in depth. The other woman and I love to drink champagne Amboise and surrounds looks beautiful. Which area would you save for another time?
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 04:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Parva Domus is a wonderful French B&B with nice gardens out the back, its own house champagne and it is right on the Avenue in Epernay (to the south of Reims). The loos are ensuite but behind a curtain so a bit... but the position and the hosts are perfect, you can drive to Reims or take the train or walk over the Montagne de Reims (a small hill with fantastic views of vines). Nearly all the big houses are in both towns.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 06:50 AM

>>Amboise and surrounds looks beautiful.<<

My wife & I usually take 2 trips to France each year, and spend 1 month there on each trip. We visit different regions in France. We've spent 7-8 weeks in the Loire chateaux area because we love chateaux. However, except for the chateaux, the region is not very interesting, IMO. The countryside is not very scenic, and except for Chinon & perhaps Angiers - the cities & towns are not that interesting compared to those in other areas in France.

We spent 4 nights near Compiegne about 5 years ago and visited Reims from there as a day-trip, & about 3 years ago we spent 3 nights near Epernay. Reims is a very interesting city, but we were underwhelmed with Epernay. The Champagne region itself is OK - but we've visited many other winegrowing regions that were more interesting. But if you love Champagne (I don't but we're major wine people) then visit Champagne instead of the Loire. If you plan on visiting Versailles while in Paris - that's another reason to skip the Loire Chateaux.

Next year we are visiting Alsace for 2 weeks. We're landing at CDG and immediately taking the TGV to Reims for a one-nighter. You might consider the same - which will save you the two Paris bookends and you'll do less driving. You could also take the TGV from CDG to Rennes, drive 1 3/4 hrs to MSM and start your trip there.

Consider Chantilly as a stopover between Bayeux & Reims. There is a Chateau hotel there (we stayed in it once). The Chateau at Chantilly is quite nice.

Visit Laon while at Reims.

I assumed your $800 per night was for 2 rooms since there are 2 couples traveling.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 08:45 AM

We have stayed in all of these chateau hotels

Near Bayeux

Château de Sully?your luxury hotel in Normandy !

near Chantilly
https://www.lechateaudelatour.fr/fr/...otel-chantilly

Loire
https://www.tortiniere.com/fr/

My FIL (who is still alive at 98) was in the Normandy Invasion and can attest to the fact that all the villages around the D-Day beaches were leveled by bombs - except Bayeux. We've visited Bayeux several times & it is in the lower 1/3 of our favorite villages in France. I read somewhere that the tapestry is going on tour sometime in the future - so check on that before you decide to spend a lot of time in Bayeux. The invasion museum there is fantastic. My FIL spotted a jeep in the museum that was like the one he drove to Paris.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 09:51 AM

Bayeux is not a dreamy medieval town but about the nicest town in area - one of few not totally blitzed in WW2 and makes a perfect base for D-Day beaches and also has stunning cathedral and the Bayeux Tapestry - so spend a half-day in town upon arrival day and do D-Day excursions day after or more and then do the easy drive to MSMichel.

Provins would be a neat old town to stay in en route to Reims/Champagne area.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 09:58 AM

My prime recommendation for a hotel is in the village of Petit Andelys, about an hour's drive from Paris and right on the banks of the Seine. The village is near the ruined castle built by Richard Coeur-de-Lion and is a nice little place to wander--we arrived there after a long flight and had an easy drive on the motorway of about an hour. The hotel has an excellent restaurant. Everyone to whom I've recommended the place has been very happy with it.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 10:57 AM

Yes go right from CDG to a place like underhill says above or Giverny or Auver-sur-Oise, etc and end up in Paris or do Paris first and end up at CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -