Two weeks in Croatia

Search

Two weeks in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks in Croatia

I plan to spend two weeks in Croatia from late Jul to early Aug. Hopefully able to cover Split, Plitvice, Hvar, Trogir and Dubrovnik. How should I plan an itinerary if I rent a car? Is it more covenient to drop the car in Dubrovnik and fly back to Zagreb? If possible, I would also like some island-hopping. How about the car ferry transport?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Our family visited Croatia on a 3-week trip in the summer of 2005 flying into Dubrovnik. We spent 4 nights in Dubrovnik and you do not need a rental car here. We took the bus from here to Split, where you do not need a car either. When we were ready to leave Split for Plitvice Park, we picked up our rental car.

We were also going to Slovenia and ending our trip in Venice for 4 days. We purposely started in Croatia and ended in Italy as we were told that many car rental companies will not let you take a rental car from Italy into Slovenia or Croatia because of theft.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
nbujic

Make sure you have reservation for hotels and A/C. It is a holiday time for the locals and all of Europe!

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I decided to take an open-jaw flight and my prelim itinerary is as below:

Day 1 Fly to Zagreb in the morning, take the rental car and drive to Istria.
Day 2 to 3 Explore Istria, Pula, Porec, Rovinj, etc.
Day 4 Drive to Plitvice
Day 5 Hiking in Plitvice, drive to Trogir
Day 6 Explore Trogir
Day 7 Drive to Split, visit the Palace and then take the ferry to Hvar
Day 8 Explore Hvar
Day 9 Take ferry to Korcula
Day 10 Explore Korcula
Day 11 Take ferry to Dubrovnik
Day 12 to 14 Dubrovnik, explore the town, day trip to Montenegro, Catveat Island, etc.
Day 15 Flight from Dubrovnik.

A few questions for the trip:
1) How long is the drive fr Zagreb to Istria peninsula
2) For exploring Istria and then leaving for Plitvice, should I base in Pula, Rovinj, or even Opatijia? How long is the drive to Plitvice?
3) Should I keep my car for island hopping or return it in Split? How convenient is public transport and how congested is car ferry during the peak season?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM

For driving distances, I have found the Route Planner on Michelin (www.michelin.com) to be extremely helpful and accurate. I used it extensively from parador to parador in Spain and am counting on it again for this year's adventures in Croatia. Good luck.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM

we had a fabulous trip to croatia last summer... zagreb, plitvice, trogir, dubrovnik, then hvar. after hiking plitvice, i would not have wanted to drive to trogir... i might make a minor adjustment and stay that night in plitvice, then just day-trip trogir the next day. it was a pleasant drive from plitvice, but i think it was about 4 hours.?? really cute sea town, but half a day may be plenty, vs cutting your plitvice explorations short.(we hiked about 6 hours and only barely scratched the serface of the park.) we took a ferry from split to hvar and were told (on this board) not to worry... and, of course, it was sold out... and that was a less busy season. so i would definitely try to secure tickets ahead (though we were able to find another, smaller line than Jadrolinija and got to our destination in the end.) if you have any other specific questions, let me know. we loved every minute of our trip and hope to go back soon. -k. & j.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Gina, thanks for info on the route planner. I find it very useful.

Kawh, thanks for your advice. Will consider staying Plitvice for one more night and drive to Trogir next morning.

For Istria, which city is more ideal as a base, in term of traffic and accommodation?
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:57 AM

Hi, I actually had a question for Bellaitalia. Can I ask it on this forum? I'm not sure of the Fodor decorum. My family is taking the same trip essentially that you took in 2005 ( plus Prague). You mentioned your family went.Did you bring kids? I am looking for ideas particularly for my 11, and 15 yr olds. They are easy travelors but I like to include some things on the itinerary that would interest them particularly. I would appreciate any advice on family accommodations along the way as well.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM

Baby Milos,

Our late June ininerary is identical to yours except we decided to cut out Plitvice this time.

We drive from Zagreb to Rovinj (240 km, 2:46 minutes) and are staying in Rovinj. From there, we will do day trips (by car) to Porec to the north (21 miles, 36 minutes) and Pula to the south (22 mi, 35 min). We then will stay in Opatija for one night before the longer drive to Split (which, because it is about 4 hours, we will make a stop in Zadar on the way).

We then drop off the car in Split, as we can explore Trogir by bus, and take a catamaran to Hvar, and ferry to Korcula, then Dubrovnik.

From what I've read, I suggest you not wing it and make sure you have all your transportation (and hotels) nailed down before you get there. Have fun!

Mike

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM

Venturesome4, yes, we did take our 2 kids on our Summer 2005 trip and they love to travel! Our oldest son had just graduated from high school in May 2005 and our younger son had just finished 8th grade. We all went to Prague on a previous trip in 2004.

I should preface this by saying that we ejoy staying in small, more intimate places if possible and not the 5 star chain-type hotels.

DUBROVNIK--we rented an apartment a few minutes outside of the Pile Gate and my husband found it online. They also have apts. in the old town. If you are interested, I can see if we still have the website. It was not anything fancy but worked well as we could go back and relax during the hottest time of the day. One of the bedrooms had a portable A/C unit that vented out the window and it actually worked very well and there were also oscillating fans.

In Dubrovnik, one day we took a boat ride to the 3 Elaphite Islands. Looked like a pirate ship and includes a fish picnic on the boat. We stayed 45 minutes on the 2 smaller islands (nothing there) and 3 hours on Lopud, where there is a beach. The boat ride was beautiful and relaxing. Takes all day, approx. 11 a.m.-6 p.m.

Be sure to stop for cold drinks at Buza, doorway is located in the city wall marked "Cold Drinks" just up from the cathedral, behind St. Ignatius' Church. This place clings to the cliff and the views are amazing!

SPLIT--we stayed at a place in the Rick Steves book called "Villa Ana" and it was just a few minutes walk from the bus station and the old town. It was a lovely stone house (on a busy street but we weren't bothered) and the rooms were very nice with modern bathrooms and great A/C. We had 2 doubles here but they were close together. Their website is www.villaana-split.hr I would stay here again.

PLIVTICE PARK--This place is absolutely beautiful and I think your kids will love it! We stayed just a few minutes outside of the park at a new place (they were still putting the finishing touches on it)called Knezevic Guest House, also in the 2005 Rick Steves Best of Eastern Europe book.

We had two rooms that connected by balconies with patio doors and our bathroom was right outside the door. We were the only ones using it as the other rooms had private baths. I think they probably call this a family room.

Again, not a fancy place, but clean and we enjoyed our stay here. The gal that runs it was very sweet, as was her husband, and spoke very limited English but we were always able to communicate. Her daughter Christina speaks English but we never met her as I think she was in college. There is a huge deck that we enjoyed in the evenings and had a chance to visit with some of the other guests. This very relaxing place has lovely flowers and she has a beautiful greenhouse not far from the guest house.

I should just mention that it had some kind of funky mattresses on the beds that made alot of noise when you rolled over but I would stay here again. I think breakfast was extra and we spent 2 nights here. Their e-mail in 2005 was [email protected] At that time they did not have a website but they may now. Check R. Steves new 2007 book.

At Plitvice, we ate several meals at the park-run restaurants and it was very good We esp. enjoyed Licka Kuca not far from Entrance 1.

LJUBLJANA,Slovenia--we stayed here 2 nights. There aren't any great sights here but it has a wonderful ambience. Skip the castle.

We stayed at a place just a few minutes walk from the Triple Bridge called Gostilna Pri Mraku, again in the Rick S. book. Not anything great but I think they are lacking for accommodations here. The website is www.daj-dam.si

BLED, Slovenia--A lovely place but again lacking in accommodations. We stayed at a place right on Lake Bled (we did not have lake views) called Vila Preseren in the R. Steves book. We had 2 rooms closeby. The website is www.vila.preseren.s5.net

Their breakfast seating is beautiful and right on the lake. We also had dinner here once or twice.

Grand Hotel Toplice is Bled's nicest hotel and is also on the lake.

The views from the castle above Bled are worth the trip up there. There are several day trips around this area too, such as Vintar Gorge, Lake Bohinj and the Vrsic Pass and Soca River Valley.

From here, we headed to Venice for 4 nights and flew home.

If you have a chance to visit Cesky Krumlov on your way to Prague, do. It is like a fairy tale. We spent 1 night here and loved it! Had some great food at several restaurants down on the river.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Thank you so much for the info, Bellitalia!! this is great. We also don't care about fancy places. I will get right on those accomodations. We have also been using Rick Steves books and find them very helpful.
Cheers!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

If I drop the car in Split and take passenger ferry to the islands, how can I rent a motor car on Hvar and Korcula? Any web-site for making reservation? Also notice that accommodation in Hvar or Korcula may charge extra 30% for staying less than 3 nights, is it a better idea to base in either Hvar, Korcula, or even Split?