Two weeks, August, Italy, oh my!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the early stages of planning my first-time trip to Italy for the last two weeks of August 2018 and would appreciate the advice of the Fodor's forum world.

My ideal trip would have a good balance of busy and relaxation; sights, sounds and stories steeped in culture, history and architecture; and more wine and delicious food than I know what to do with!

I will book end my trip by flying in and out of Rome. The first week is flexible and I'd like to explore on my own (I'm a female in her late 30's, comfortable travelling solo and will pay for comfort!). My second week I am booked with friends at a villa in the Siena Area of Tuscany, a few minutes from San Casciano.

Some initial thoughts...
  • Two or three days in Rome
  • Three days in the Amalfi Coast (Positano home-base with day trips to any one of Capri, Ravello, Sorrento)
  • Travel to Tuscany for seven days (villa home-base with day trip to Florence)
Some initial questions...
  • Train or car rental or both? What's the best way to book these - in advance or upon arrival?
  • I realize August is hot and busy - is it worth the effort to fight with crowds in these places, or choose to go elsewhere off the beaten path?
  • What not to miss?
  • What to avoid?
With appreciation for your insights!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:29 AM

Two or three days in Rome, particularly if you're arriving from overseas, would never be enough for me.

You couldn't pay me enough to go to the Amalfi Coast at the end of August - but that's me.

I would take the train to Tuscany, then rent a car. Do not take the car into Firenze.

What not to miss is entirely up to you
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:31 AM

Forgot: Never wait until you are in Europe to rent a car. For long-distance trains, book well in advance for the cheapest fares. For regional trains, it doesn't matter.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:37 AM

It might be better to put Rome at the end of your trip, if that's possible, because you will probably need to spend at least one night in Rome before your departure, unless you have an afternoon flight. In that case, I'd suggest heading straight to the Amalfi Coast on arrival, and then proceeding to the villa in Tuscany, and finally spending your final days in Rome. This will only work, of course, if your time in the villa in Tuscany is somewhat flexible.

A car would be useful in rural Tuscany, but it would be an expensive nuisance in Rome. If you choose a town (such as Positano) on the Amalfi Coast with good ferry service, you won't miss having a car there, either.

There's nothing you can do about the heat, but you can avoid excessive crowds in all the places you want to visit by seeking out the "hidden gems" rather than the "must-sees". In Rome, for example, I'd suggest saving the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum for your next trip. (You're young, there will be a next trip!) Anyway, if you see everything on the first trip, you have no incentive to return.

I can't suggest what to see and do without knowing more about your likes and dislikes.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:31 AM

Train and car both. Train Rome to Amalfi -either to Sorrento or Salerno and use buses or ferres to get to destination - car for Tuscany.

Amalfi to Tuscany - Naples or Salerno train to Florence - book really really early for discounted train tickets - Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.com.en - competing rail companies using similar trains over same tracks and to same statiions - check both and take cheapest fare. Great info on discounted fares and booking your own online: www.seat61.com - didactic advice booking own trains; general info www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

Beware driving in Florence itself as like most Italian cities cars are Verboten from city center. Many auto rentals are outside of the zone but check.