COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Two-way radios in Italy?

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 12:49 PM
Marge

Two-way radios in Italy?

We have been offered use of two-way radios to keep our group of 4 together while traveling in various Italian cities. They have about a 1-mile range, and have been used to good advantage in places like Disney. Are they legal in Italy? For the directionally-disadvantaged, which I am, they could be valuable.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Jennie

Did you ever receive a response or find answer to this question?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Rex

There are numerous answers to this question,; search under "walkie".

Found them very useful for keeping (two cars) together. Bought ours in Europe to feel more secure about ther being legal (frequencies).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 02:24 AM
up

for Jennie

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:03 AM
Jim

Jennie,
Go to:http://www.two-way-radio.org.uk/frs-...kie-radios.htm for all information regarding legal/illegal walkie talkies in Europe

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 03:52 PM
10/4

Have you ever driven 35 mph in a 25 mph zone? That's what this is all about!
The reason you can't(?)use US Walkie talkies in Europe is because the standard was first set up in the US. When Europe found out about WT'S they tried to use the same frequencies and lo and behold they were in use by whomever and they had to assign a different frequency. Therefore, they are illegal! I'm sure if you used your radios in Europe(1-2 mile range)nothing would happen.

To Rex.
Have you used your walkie talkies purchased in Europe in the States?
Bet you Have.(They are illegal here)

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:21 PM
mmm

"Illegal" is a bit strong. If they don't work, it's because the frequency spectrum they operate on is different. But nothing about trying to use them is illegal...

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:08 PM
Rex

I think we have used them once or twice here in the US.

And I think "illegal" is closer to the right term than unable to work. Their ability to work has nothing to do with geography.

But various countries do regulate the tranmission of radio waves (and other longer and shorter frequencies) with good reasons.

None of us have any inalienable "right" to transmit electromagnetic energy just any old place we want, regardless of its frequency or wattage.

There ARE rules to be followed.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 02:31 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:10 PM
Alba

In October 2002, my husband met me in Italy. We each had a walkie-talkie. When he landed at the airport, he called me from his WT as soon as he was off the plane and all through customs. I was in the terminal using mine. Neither one of us were stopped by anyone (civilian, police or military) for using them. It never even crossed our minds about being illegal. Yet, I would think that one or both of us would have been approached by someone if they were illegal, as we were using them in full view.
Thank you, Jim, for the web address to answer this question! I will check it out.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:37 PM
xxx

YOu don't get it Rex. If the radios aren't calibrated for the appropriate frequency for a particular country, they won't work. It's not a matter of being a scofflaw; they simply won't work. An x mhz radio won't transmit or receive on a y spectrum.

Its an engineering discussion; not a inalienable rights discussion.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:08 PM
Curious about this topic

I know nothing about this subject, but do these walkie talkies operate similarly to cordless phones? I know that cordless phones have a number of channels so that if there is static on the line or it isn't clear, that you switch to another channel. Do walkie talkies operate similarly, so that all you have to do is change the frequency, or is the frequency non-changeable?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Tom

a "y" spectrum? There is only one electromagnetic spectrum in all the universe. Governments cannot alter this. They could jam certain frequencies, or simply occupy them.

But two radios that can transmit and receive with each other in Kansas will also work in Bulgaria or on the space station.