Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Layovers to Europe, What Are the Odds Our Luggage Won't Make the Jump?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our way to Italy, we are flying out of Charlotte, NC on U.S. Airways to Boston, and then taking Lufthansa from Boston to Frankfurt, and then Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Rome's Fuimincino.

None of the connections are very tight (each has well over an hour between flights), but I am concerned with so many stops and flight changes that our bags will not make it.

Does this seem pretty probable? I have flown to Europe before but never with so many connections or a carrier change. Also, I have never flown on either airline.

Are these airlines pretty good about getting luggage on connecting flights? Also, how many of you have had 2+ layovers and still got your luggage on time at your final destination?

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM

ah, I'm doing somewhat the same thing this weekend - a layover in JFK and then another in Paris. I'm nervous about it too, but not much you can really do....
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM

done many times
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, hopefully we can keep things in order somewhat by ensuring our bags get tagged to check through to Rome. We are also putting our full itinerary with dates and hotel phone numbers in our bags just in case.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I've never had a bag go missing on a 2-4 stop trip. And only once in my life on a one-stopper.

It's the non-stops where they mess things up. On complex multi-stops, they put so many extra stickers on, it's close to foolproof.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I flew from Toronto to Budapest, had a 9 hour layover there, then flew to Cairo (on the same airline), and had a 14 hour layover there, before flying off to Amman, Jordan on a different airline. My bags were checked through from Toronto to Amman. During the journey, I explored Budapest, then spent time in Egypt visiting the pyramids, the museum and having dinner in a local restaurant eating 'ful'. My bags arrived with me in Amman. They were the last ones onto the carousel, but they were there !
So you see, there is hope and a good chance that yours will make it through too.
I think (could be wrong) that the key point is that your connecting flights must be either on the same airline or on partner ones. If you are flying different sectors on different airlines that are not partnered with each other, you may have to retrieve your luggage at some point and re-check it in.

Then again last October, I flew from Toronto to Istanbul via Budapest, all on the same airline. I had an hour connection from Budapest to Istanbul but my bags didn't make the connection.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Can't tell you about the transfer in Boston, but you should have no problems with the LH portions. Done that several times and they are extremely efficient. Had a connection once in MUC of 30 min. Gate agent said they were more concerned with us making the flight than the luggage - we made it and so did luggage. As you said, just make sure the tags have FCO as the final destination.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I don't like checking bags regardless of layover time or change of carriers. If I have no choice, I will carry on a bag with at least one and possibly two changes of clothes just in case. My son recently had his bags delayed for 4 days - their first flight arrived right on time with 2 hours between flights. As a result, their bags to be loaded on the next flight were on the bottom of the pile and when the plane was nearing weight capacity, they stopped loading bags and his, along with 3 other friends, were out of luck. so much for having plenty of time between flights!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Ditto.

Although the likelihood of your bags being misdirected is extremely remote, always (<u>always</u carry with you anything you can't live without.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM

When you have big feet as I do it is very difficult to go to Europe with only a carry-on so I always check luggage and have never had a mishap over the past 35 years and have certainly had sometimes three and even four connections.

Everbody is probably concerned.

But realistically, what can you do about it at this point?

Based on my experiences it seems very probable that your bags will make it.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM

It is the norm for me to have at least two layovers to Europe and I have yet had a bag lost or delayed. It still doesn't prevent me from worrying about it and feeling a huge sense of relief when I see my bag coming around the carousel, though.

I just make sure to pack a change of clothes in my carryon in case something happens.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never take flights with that many changes. That said, simply pack a carry-on that can get you thru the first few days, and hope for the best.