Laptops in checked baggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whilst I would prefer to have my laptop in cabin baggage some weight restrictions can make that difficult to achieve.

Please does anyone have any ideas about the advisability of putting a laptop in checked baggage and the best way of protecting it against damage in transit?

Michael
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I do it regulally within Europe but then my case is locked. I place it in the middle of all my clothes so it has some protection.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM

In the few instances when I've checked luggage (I carry-on mostly) I never put in ANYTHING I would hate to lose in that luggage. While the ratio between the total number of bags checked vs. number of thefts and/or lost bags is probably low I figure it's better for it to happen to someone else rather than me. Why take the chance, I say carry it with you - that's what I do.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

No way. Absolutely no freaking possible way. Well, unless it's a company laptop and you really hate your job and your employer.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I would never in a million years do that. But if you do, I'd advise you to back up all your files before you do. Or at least those files you can't live without.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I agree..I would carry it on the plane with you. Normally you are allowed a laptop plus a carryon also. My husband and I always take our laptops on board and like a backpack of some sort with us. It's a little more to carry onboard but still worth it knowing it's safe and sound with you.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Even if you are departing from the UK, where you can only take one carryon through security (not 1+1), you still cannot check any valuables. Just go read about the BA luggage mess at LHR for the past week (and on-going). Your laptop will be sitting with 20,000+ bags for days. And when you eventually get it back, you may find that it had been soaked in rain.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
HKP

I was under the impression that you may not put a laptop in checked baggage in the US, but I may well be wrong. In any case, given the increasing frequency of theft from checked baggage, I wouldn't do it.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I have checked a laptop when I had a shoulder injury and could not carry it so I know you can. I think you guarantee that the bag will be opened by the TSA if you check it since I got a note regarding a search from them everytime I checked the laptop.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM

It's a nuts idea - unless you really want to "lose" it.
Whilst the number of thefts vs number of bags is low, the number of thefts vs number of bags with high value items in them is far higher.

If it is a company laptop I suggest you check the rules for ensuring it's security - putting it in checked lugage is probably up there with "don't leave it on the car seat" in things not to do and is probably a disciplinary offence to boot
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Airlines specifically refuse to accept responsibility for valuables and electronics lost or damaged, so make sure your personal insurance covers everythng you check.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM

My daughter's iPod was stolen from our luggage in Jo'burg. Our insurance company said they had no liability for electronics that were checked rather than carried on. They did give us $100 as a goodwill gesture.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses.

Interesting that most people were concerned about loss.

Travelling from UK means one bag. My laptop and its stuff weigh 3.0kg, camera kit I would never put in the hold weighs 2.5kg and other camera stuff I would like to keep with me comes to 1.0kg. That means 6.5kg without a bag so difficulties may be encountered.

The laptop (used for pictures while away) is fully insured and, whilst I would not want to lose it at least one full backup will always be with me in the cabin so its loss would not be disastrous.

Incidentally I recently found reference to a water tight bag which could be useful to protect things from damp in addition to blightyboy's comments about location in the suitcase.

Of course a different issue is putting a lithium battery in the hold. I have heard some authorities are beginning to get twitchy about this.

Michael

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

On a return flight from Frankfurt to Houston via DFW two years ago, I had some pain medication stolen from my checked bag. When we arrived in DFW and had to retrieve our luggage to go thru Customs, my TSA approved LOCK was still on my suitcase. However, when we arrived in Houston, the TSA lock was gone. It had been cut off or removed somewhere in between the two airports. Fortunately, the pain medication was the only thing missing, but there was nothing of value in the suitcase because our laptop and camera equipment went with us on the plane.

Lesson learned -- even with a good lock the thieves can still get in if they think there is something worth stealing. Take your computer and any other valuables with you on the plane.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Wasleys - is this traveling for a photo job or just pleasure?

The reason I ask is because if it's for pleasure AND you would be willing to wait to post process your photos until your return, you could leave the laptop at home and take a PSD.

I have a CompactDrive PD70X, 120gb harddrive and it's no bigger than a paperback. It weighs less than a pound (not including 4 rechargable AA batteries). I can't view or process any photos once downloaded to the device, but I can clear off my memory cards each day, and I don't have to worry about carrying a laptop.

There are several choices in PSDs, some with viewers (though they don't usually display RAW images), at varying prices.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Interesting response. I do have full backup on disc which I carry with me and there are no sensitive files or info on my laptop these are all on a disc or stick which I have with me. The reason that i do put laptop in the hold luggage is as wasleys says, in the UK where we are only allowed 1 hand baggage only it can be a problem by the time you have medication, wash kit, clean set of underwear and shirt(incase bag gets lost), reading materials etc
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM

interesting you bring clean undies in a carry on. i've thought about this before. if my baggage was lost or misplaced, the first thing i'd want is my laptop and internet connection to find out where to go and buy anything i needed wherever i was.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM

It's a lot quicker to replace clothing than a laptop.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM

My mother always said that you had to wear clean underwear just in case you had an accident
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:23 AM

wasleys - the ultimate decision whether or not to put your laptop in with your checked luggage is yours alone to make. The majority of the responses you received (most from people who travel a great deal) advise against doing that but yet it seems you are still seeking confirmation that if you do your laptop will be safe from theft. No one can give you any guarantees. It's your laptop - do with it what you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -