Two different Athens-Korinthos trains?

Nov 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Two different Athens-Korinthos trains?

I am very confused ---
OSE.gr says the line from Athens is closed all the way to Korinthos.

Are there two separate trains?

As in an old one, and this is the one that is closed? And this old one used to leave from the Central Station?

And the Proastiakos is a completely different train to Korinthos? From what I can tell, this one is supposed to leave from Larissa station?

Can someone clarify this further?

Or, is there only one train and thus you now have to take a bus from Athens to Korinthos or Loutraki? Does anyone know where I could find a schedule for these and from which bus station they depart?

Thank you so much...the more I look the more confused I get!
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM

While i'm not positive about this i believe i've read in my rail-nut mags that the Athens-Corinth rail line is actually two rail lines, one narrow-gauge and one broad gauge - and i believe they have closed the narrow-gauge line to redo it on a wide-gauge scale - something to do with the sideline that circles the Peloponnese i believe. But again i'm a bit hazy on the details. In any case buses are generally faster and more frequent in this area IME.
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM

www.bahn.de, the best European rail timetable site i've seen says that schedules Athenes-Korinth are not available because of a 'timetable change,' whatever that means. Perhaps all rail travel is suspended for work?
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

PalenqueBob, I hope you are right about the two different lines.

The Proastiakos is only supposed to take 1 hour 17 minutes (if it is running). We were planning on take the 6:06 AM train to get an early start!

Unfortunately, the buses only start running at 7:30 AM (or so I think, www.ktel.org is also not working!)
Nov 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM

As I understand it, the old narrow-gauge line from Pireas and Athens to Korinthos has closed, and been replaced by a new electric standard-gauge line from Athens to a new station at Korinthos. Passengers for the Peloponnese have to change trains at Korinthos New station for the old Korinthos station and the line to Patra and beyond. Eventually, the new line will extend from Athens to Patra with a journey time of under two hours.
Both the OSE web site and the Thomas Cook European Timetable show a train at 0606 from Athens Larissa station to Korinthos New, arriving at 0721 to connect with a narrow-gauge train at 0727 to Korinthos (old), Patra and Pirgos.
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, sounds like we will be OK.

Which station would be closer to Loutraki? New or old Korinthos? We need to pick up a car there.

Thanks again!
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:44 AM

Proastiakos (which translates into "suburban") is a new service aiming to connect Athens with nearby suburbs, cities and the airport launched just before the Olympic Games. It's something like the RER in Paris. Although it belongs (at least partially) to OSE it's a separate thing, it has different lines, trains, standards, prices. At present it's not only the best option to get to Korinthos by train but the only one as well.It's also the only way to get there directly from the airport. The website is www.proastiakos.gr I'm not familiar as to which station is closer to Loutraki but I can assure you that any difference in distance would be neglectable.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!!