COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Two Days in St Petersburg

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Two Days in St Petersburg

I'll be in St Petersburg with my wife for about two days in early August. Can you suggest what we should realistically try to see/do with such limited time?

Thanks
Prof Plum
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

St Petersburg, Russia BTW
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Within two days, you can see almost everything - at least if you hire a private guide with car and driver.

Some of the most spectacular palaces are out of town and you need about an hour to go there. You can also hire a taxi.

A rather inexpensive way is to hire a guide for the first day, using the hotel concierge or an agency, and then to hire the guide privately for the second day. It will cost you a fraction of the first day. Be prepared that entrance fees are outragously high.

What you can see:
Downtown:
- Strolling through the city and seeing the wonderful architecture.
- The Saviour on the Spilt Blood church.
- St. Isaac's Cathedral.
- Yusupuv Palace.
- Peter and Paul's Fortress.
- The Hermitage.

This is possible in one day (albeit tight).

In the evening, see the performance (ballet or opera) in the Mariinsky Theatre. It is a highlight!

Out of town (the next day):
- Peterhof Palace (the park is the main attraction).
- Catherine's Palace.
- The rest of downtown which did not squeeze in your first day.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the excellent advice. Can you recommend a guide or a website?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM

We will be in St Petersburg, Russia for 2 days with Holland America and plan to use the tour company Red October (private minivan for 6) to tour. If you know anything about them, please let me know. Thanks, [email protected]
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
kja

Treveller1959 wrote: "Within two days, you can see almost everything - at least if you hire a private guide with car and driver." I spent about 4.5 days in St. Petersburg, and did not see everything I wanted to see, so I must respectfully disagree. I didn't have a car and driver, but I can't imagine seeing everything there within 2 days! Unless that really means just passing by. . . .
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Is this a port visit on a cruise or an independent visit? If it is a port visit you will need a visa or set up your visit with one of the agencies that handles cruise ship passengers. With only two days you will only brush by the sights.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM

Okay, kja, just the highlights and, I admit, we spent only two hours in the Hermitage - you can spend there easily four days. But within two days, you can see a lot (we did).

On our first visit (py plane), the hotel concierge hired a guide for us for the first day. The second day we hired the same person privately for a fraction of the cost.

On our second visit (by cruise ship), we hired Anastasia and had an outstanding tour:
http://www.anastasiaworld.com/

I can strongly recommend Anastasia which is slightly less expensive than Denrus, Alla, Red October.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Of course it is always a question – how to organize the limited time when you travel to the new place. St.Pete accommodates thousands of cruise passengers who spend here two days only. Unfortunately most of them visit the city only once in the lifetime so for these people it is important to see as much as possible in the limited time. It is rather stressful but if the trip is well organized – with professional guide and car – it is possible to see a lot and still enjoy the city. Usually such extensive tours start early in the morning – at about 8.00am. Here is the sample two-day itinerary (just to get an idea):
First day
8.00 meet with the guide (near the ship or at your hotel)
8.00-12.30 city tour with inside visits of Peter-and-Paul Fortress, St.Isaak’s cathedral and Savior-on-the-Blood church
12.30-13.30 lunch in the local café
14.00-16.00 visit of the Hermitage
16.30-17.30 walk along Nevsky avenue, possible shopping, roaming around…
18.00 – 19.00 boat ride along rivers and canals
20.00 dinner or return to the ship (hotel)

Second day
9.00 meet with the guide
9.00-10.00 – drive to Tsarskoe Selo
10.00-11.30 – tour of Catherine’s palace and park
12.00-12.30 drive to Peterhof
12.30-13.30 lunch
14.00-15.30 tour of Peterhof grounds
15.30-16.00 hydrofoil back to the city
17.00 return to the ship (hotel)

Of course you will not have enough time to enjoy every room at the Hermitage or every fountain in Peterhof. But you will get a general impression of how the museum looks like. I personally think that one needs at least w eek in St.Pete to adore the city but unfortunately so many people don’t have this extra time.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I disagree that with only 2 days you will "Brush By" the sights. You'll be able to see plenty. But, you'll have to prioritize, such as determine whether you want to venture out of the city (to Peterhof, for example) or stay within.

Also highly recommend a licensed private guide, for skipping the lines at venues and touring in English. Otherwise, you will find yourselves in long lines behind huge tour groups. I found the one we hired here on Fodor's and she was excellent in every way (and can also help with Visa support).

http://www.tourservice.sp.ru/

Not to be missed is a "canal cruise".
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the incredibly helpful advice. It is much appreciated. I visited the web sites that you suggested but I can't find any mention of price. What does a private guide with car cost for a day?

Garfield --- This is a first time 2-day port visit on a cruise.

Thanks
Prof Plum
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM

In general the full day (8 hours) of guide and driver is about 200 Euro. This does not include any museum fees or boat ride or port admissions (as you arrive on the cruise).
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM

We used the services of Red October, and I cannnot praise them too highly. I was sent a preliminary itinerary, and then was able to modify it to our desires.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brit

Do you have a website for Red October?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM

Eugenia: Could you tell me if your "sample two day-itinerary" for 200 Euros per day, is for each person, or the fee for the guide, car and driver per day and what size car/van is used?

You also mention museum fees, port admission and boat ride would be extra. Could you give an approximate cost for these?

ProfessorPlum: Did you finally decide on a private tour guide?

Thank you.