Reload this Page >

Two Days in Lisbon

Search

Two Days in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Ken R.

Two Days in Lisbon

My wife and I will be in Lisbon for two days next month. I welcome suggestions from traverlers experienced with Lisbon as to the must "see and do" places and activities. All help is appreciated.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Kathleen P

In Lisbon, make sure to stroll through the ancient Alfama section. However, we enjoyed two activities not in Lisbon proper: Cascais and Sintra, which can easily be reached via local commuter trains. Cascais is a lovely fishing village with charming shopping streets, small restaurants, and real "village" ambience that gives you a taste of Portugal outside the bustle of Lisbon. Also, beautiful Sintra is the the site of several magnificent royal palaces that you can tour. Both are worth the effort.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Susana

I'd recommend taking the train to Sintra. Pena Palace was a high point for us. <BR> In Lisbon, the Belem district is loaded: Mosterio dos Jeronimos, National Coach Museum, Maritime Museum (huge & fascinating), some small museums, a bridge that's a take off on our San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge, & the Monument to the Discoveries. Plenty here to fill the day. <BR> If you walk through the Alfama, start at the top at the Castelo de Sao Jorge. <BR> There's a good tourist office on the lower part of the Avenida da Liberdade. <BR> See the Eyewitness Travel Guide on Portugal.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:29 AM
Kristi

I'd suggest spending one day exploring the area around Belem, I loved the coach museum and you can also visit the Tower of Belem and the monastery. Away from Belem, I'd recommed taking the cable car up to see Castelo Sao Jorge. <BR> <BR>The second day I'd recommend a day trip out to Sintra. It is an easy train trip from the Rossio station in Lisbon, if my memory serves me it was about 45 minutes by train. Once you get to Sintra there is a bus that you can get a day pass on that stops at the Pena Palace, National Palace, El Morro (an old castle/fort).We stopped at the National Palace first, then the Pena Palace, walked back down to El Morro and then caught the bus back to the station. <BR> <BR>If you get an early start on the day you can also stop at Quelez on the way back, there's a palace there that reminded me a bit of Versailles although not quite as grand. It's a bit of a walk, maybe 20 minutes, from the train station and not well marked so ask the locals where the palacio is.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 06:54 AM
Patrick

With just two days there, I would suggest that the first day you do one of the hop on, hop off bus tours that will drive you around the city so that you can stop to visit the places mentioned above --good suggestions. The second day I would take the train to Sintra early, take the local bus up to Pena Palace, then another bus to Cascais for lunch and the afternoon (or if you spend too much time in Sintra, have lunch there and take a later bus to Cascais.) From there you can take a train back to Lisbon for a wonderful dinner in Barrio Alto, a picturesque area filled with wonderful small restaurants. We loved Meson El Gordo. Have fun!