Two Bases in Sicily?

Search

Two Bases in Sicily?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Bases in Sicily?

My husband and myself will spend approximately 14-18 in Sicily. Wondering if we could divide up the time between two bases. Palermo and Syracusa. We will have a driver/friend who can take us on many day trips from both cities. Would this work?
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 05:26 PM
kja

It is extremely difficult to see all of Sicily's highlights with just two bases. That said, Palermo and Siracusa (preferably Ortigia) are the two bases that make most sense. Whether you can make it work is another matter, and while it depends on what you want to see and do, I'm not optimistic -- the timing just doesn't typically work.

It is also extremely difficult to see all of Sicily's highlights with only two weeks. If you can extend to your 18-day option, I don't think you would regret it.

Questions like yours come up with great frequency on this forum, so you might want to search it -- or at least search it for trip planning threads on Sicily.

And FWIW, I found the Rough Guide and Michelin Green particularly helpful for Sicily.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful! With 18 days would you base 10 days in Palermo and 8 in Ortigia? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:14 PM

You may want to add a base on the southern coast to make it easier to visit Selinunte, Agrigento and also the Villa Casale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Romana_del_Casale and Caltagirone.

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:28 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Eliana
With 18 days would you base 10 days in Palermo and 8 in Ortigia?
I would not -- but then, I would rather relocate than face long, exhausting day trips that don't give me enough time to see or experience what I want to experience, even if long and exhausting! YMMV.

If intent upon staying in only two bases, how to split your time really depends on which of Sicily's highlights you want to see and experience -- and none of us can tell you that. Michael's suggestion to add at least one base is, IMO, a step in the right direction.