Search

10 days in Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Sicily

Hi everyone,
I'll be travelling with my husband through Sicily in early August for 10 days. We will be arriving by train via Naples and need advice on where to stay, how long in each place and the best places to visit in such a short time. We would prefer to use public transport and will be travelling to Malta by ferry from Pozzallo at the end of our stay. Looking forward to your replies, Marea
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 04:37 PM
kja

There is more to see in Sicily than can possibly be seen in just 10 days, and none of us can tell you what YOU would most like to see and are most willing to skip, so I strongly recommend that you consult some good guidebooks (which you can do at a library). FWIW, the highlights of Sicily for me were the cathedral of Monreale (including its cloister), the Greek ruins at Segesta, Selinunte, and Agrigento, the Villa Romana del Casale, and Ortygia.

Visiting Sicily without a car is certainly do-able, but not without its challenges. Search this board for trip reports by bruce-and-marina and GAC.

Keep in mind that Sicily can be extremely hot in August.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

kja thank you for your advice. I am aware there is so much to see in Sicily as I have been doing research and the more I have read the more I want to do. That's why I'd like to see what others have enjoyed. Hiring a car isn't an issue so we might do that. Also, can anyone suggest any towns that would be a good base to stay in and sightsee from?
Thank you, Marea
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM
kja

Sicily does not lend itself well to bases. For the east, Siracusa (but stay in Ortygia). For the west, Palermo would work for most purposes. For the Greek and Roman ruins in the center, whatever place that best matches your interests -- or you might find it best to stay in several different places.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Marea,

I have planned my trips with the help of The generous Fodorites here. I usually start with reading trip reports about the areas I am considering. If find detailed TRs to be extremely helpful in deciding what would interest me and what would not.

Not everyone has the same travel style, interests, age, or budget.

If you want to read TRs for Sicily just use the search boxes above and start your reading. Good guidebooks are also very helpful.

If you want to read my TR or kja's just click on our names. My own trip was over 3 weeks, so you would need to edit things down according to your own priorities.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:16 PM
kja

I agree that trip reports can be a great way to learn about places one plans to visit, and I give sincere kudos to those who take the tremendous time and effort that goes into writing a good one (and Dayle's is, IMO, a very good one!).

That said, trip reports don't tell you about the things that you might like to see that other travelers left off their itineraries. So, for example, I love art and it is, for me, a priority when traveling. But I don't think I've ever seen a trip report that mentions Palermo's museum of art -- or, for that matter, its amazing museum of archeology. I could very easily have missed any number of references to these places, and apologize to the authors of trip reports that cover them. But my point, I think, remains valid -- a good guidebook will cover ALL your options. Even the best trip report covers only what THAT person saw.

Dayle is very kind to recommend my trip report. Unfortunately, I did not write one. Instead, I have tried to offer comments to those who are planning to visit this fascinating island, and take Dayle's comment as a sincere compliment. Thanks, Dayle!