TWIN/DOUBLE????

Jun 26th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Aim

TWIN/DOUBLE????

When a hotel says twin or double what does that mean? Which one would have two separate beds in it? Help!!

Jun 26th, 2001, 03:42 PM
janis

A twin is two single beds - a Double is one bed, sometimes larger than a US double.

Jun 26th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Lori

A Twin room has two (2) separate beds, twin sized ones. Sometimes they are pushed together to make a "sort of king size", but they are still 2 separate beds. A double is a standard double sized bed - if you are used to sleeping in a larger bed (queen or king) do not ever take a room with a double, you will be very very uncomfortable. When in doubt about beds in a room ask the size of the beds.

Jun 28th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Phyllis

Hi Aim...I just recently returned from our first trip to Ireland and I had confirmed all my accommodations via the internet before we left the states. Out of the 8 places we stayed of which I had asked for a "double room", 2 of the 8 took it to mean that I wanted 2 double beds. So if you make all your accommodations before you leave make sure they know you want a single bed and not 2 of the same size bed. We were told that the Irish most often interpret a double room to mean 2 double beds.
Hope this helps..

Jun 28th, 2001, 08:24 PM
kam

Because my husband has a back problem and is very often very restless and uncomfortable when we are traveling, I always request a "room for two persons with two beds". That language works well.

Jul 1st, 2001, 03:38 PM
John

Twin means that the room will have two separate single beds in it.(Two beds for one person each)
Double means one bigger bed which is intended to sleep two people in it.
A single bed is interpreted as a bed for one person.
A double bed is interpreted as one bed for two persons.
I run a bed and breakfast in Ireland and I know that there is a language gulf in this quite important area. I also know few greater sinking-heart moments than that of realising that the double room is for two same-sex-different-bed travelling companions.

Jul 1st, 2001, 03:43 PM
Linda

I also found that in Italy, if you want a double bed, it helps to ask for a "matrimoniale" (married).

Jul 1st, 2001, 03:51 PM
Ed

Both mean a room for two. If more than that is of concern to you, ask.

You may find www.twenj.com/tipshotel2.htm of value