Reload this Page >

TWA Emergency Landings

Search

TWA Emergency Landings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Anita

TWA Emergency Landings

Does anyone know what is going on with TWA and their emergency landings this week with their MD-80's? I'm supposed to fly to Paris and now I'm a bit hesitant considering this news. Thanks for your info.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Lee

Anita, The MD80 is the infamous aircraft involved in the Alaskan Airlines LA to Seattle crash in February of last year. I was on another Alaskan Airlines MD80 going from Seattle to Calgary on that same day and remember the details fairly well. The MD80 was cited as having problems with the vertical stabilizer (in the tail), if I remember correctly, but I thought that a fix was in place on all models of that aircraft. <BR> <BR>If you are flying from the US to Paris, chances are it won't be on an MD80. That is a smaller regional aircraft that typically does not fly either trans-Atlantic or Pacific. <BR> <BR>I'd guess that lost luggage would be your biggest concern. Have fun.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Walter

For anyone that hasn't heard about TWA's recent problems. This is from the "International Herald Tribune". Regards, Walter <BR>"TWA's Emergency Landings <BR>Friday, July 20, 2001 <BR>ST. LOUIS (AP) - Federal inspectors are reviewing a series of emergency landings by Trans World Airlines planes that had engine problems, officials said. <BR>No one was hurt in the five incidents since July 11. The Federal Aviation Agency routinely investigates engine failures, and the review is not punitive, a spokeswoman said. "What we are trying to find out is, is this an odd coincidence or is there a trend developing here?" she said." <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Art

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing. <BR>Any landing where they can use the plane again is a great landing. <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Anita

Lee, Walter & Art, <BR> <BR>Actually I will be taking the MD-80 from Miami to JFK and then onto Paris (not on the MD-80).I just hope that TWA addressess this problem soon, as I am leaving in early September. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Mikey

Art, <BR> <BR>And remember landings are just controlled crashes.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:26 PM
xxx

Crashes are just bad landings.