How far is Tuscany from Rome?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:27 AM
S

How far is Tuscany from Rome?

I will be staying in rome but I would like to visit 'wine country'. Is it possible to travel from Rome to Tuscany and back in one day?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Rex

Yes. However - - in a weird twist, the "country" you seek is not so far away, nor inaccessible - - but it's very time consuming to get OUT of the cities. <BR> <BR>For example, you can take the train from Rome to Florence in 90 minutes. Sometimes, it can take 90 minutes just to get OUT of Rome, if you are driving a car - - and then you still have 2-2.5 hours of driving. I don't think it would be much better to train to Florence first and THEN do a one-day car rental - - though perhaps slightly better - - for one thing, you would start your day with a stress-free rest (maybe even a nap) before getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately, it is (I think - - but I have never actually done it) rather UN-car-friendly to start a rental IN the city of Florence; it's certainly un-car-friendly to try to drive a car INTO Florence. And the prices on one day car rentals are outrageously a bad deal, and almost essentially impossible to set up as a pre-paid rental here in the US before you leave for Europe. But even at the very bad rates you will pay for a one-day car rental, it still might be favorable compared to paying someone to take you on a day tour. All depends on whether you want to blaze your own path, or have someone do it for you. <BR> <BR>On a positive note, you can be out in marvelous Chianti (or other Tuscany) wine "country" in only 30-60 minutes outside Florence. Or you might want to consider taking the train to Arezzo instead (though again, I have never done this). <BR> <BR>Last of all, there are wine producing regions closer than Tuscany (if you don't have your heart set on there) - - in Umbria, and even closer in Rieti or some parts of Lazio itself. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rex

topping - - giving the real questions a fighting chance <BR>