tuxedo in London

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuxedo in London

My husband needs to wear a tux one night in London but doesn't want to pack one for 10 days of travel. Any ideas of where to get one quickly when we arrive?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Does he want to buy his dinner jacket or hire one?
He could buy a reasonably priced one from Marks and Sparks
Go to http://www.marksandspencer.com/
click on "men" and do a search on "evening wear".

If he wants to hire one, I'm sure that there are loads of outlets, but he could try Moss Bros
They have a store locator on the webpage
Go to http://www.mossbros.co.uk/
and click on MossBros Hire.
He'd need to fax them in advance with his measurements especially if he is not a standard size.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Moss Bros was totally reliable for me. I rented morning dress for our daughter's wedding near Edinburgh. I am tall (6'3&quot and was quite a lot heavier than now (285+ then) and they fitted me perfectly, though they did request that I have a fitting so they could make adjustments.

On another occasion, I dragged around a dinner jacket etc for two weeks for a City dinner in London. Never again. Moss Bros from now on.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Please advise your budget...

If money isn't particularly an object, then the major stores/tailors in Savile Row will have some off the peg ones which can be quickly altered (leg length) to meet requirements.

Hiring is not cheap considering that it's for a suit that was not that expensive in the first place...what sounds most suitable for your husband?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Aprreciated the quick and knowledgable replys.
Money is always an issue isn't it? Anyway he will be getting the tux for hire (sounds so much better than rent) We go to Italy after this meeting so this will be good. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:36 PM

How about taking the tux with you and then sending it back home by Fed Ex after the event?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM

good idea to hire one. in the UK, it is very difficult to have alterations done unless you want to pay hundreds of £. most britons buy suits off the rack and just have the trousers shortened...maybe the sleave length as well but usually not. the body of the suit or the cut of the trousers are usually not altered because the cost is prohibitive for a normal priced suit. this is why most men look so poorly dressed.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

jagirl
I'll pass on the FedEx idea. You should have seen his eyes when I told him I had solutions for the tux via Fodor's. He was impressed with my "foolishness" Now we really want to hear how all of you pronounce Fodor's
...rhyme with father's'...like the hat with the accent in the 2nd syllable... or a long o at the front? I say it enough I should learn how to say it. Cheryl
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Pho as in phone and then doo, with the accent on pho.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM

cherylbr, someone with Fodor's suggested the easiest way to remember how to pronounce Fodors..like motors. Or as some wag said like odors with with F in front of it of course.