Search

Tuscolana metro station

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscolana metro station

Hello,

Sorry for being dense, but interested in catching the local (FR1?) train from the airport for a bit of penny pinching. Apparently you can switch to metro line A at Tuscolana; however, I can't see any mention of a Tuscolana metro station on the subway map.

Does it go under another name? If so, what would that be?

Thanks
Reg
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Reg

I found your question intriguing, and spent a minute it on it. On my Streetwise Rome map, there is a large station marked Tuscolana on the insert Metro map. Line A, and it shows the FR1 with a stop parallel to the metro stop. Looks like a large station with lots of walking, judging by the bold square that represents it on my map.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What is your final destination? It might be better to take the FR1 to Ostiense and change to the metro there (Piramide stop).
Here is the map for the metro and trains. It may take a minute to load.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Another budget option is the SitBusShuttle from the airport to Termini for 8€. You can catch the metro or buses at Termini to your final destination for 1€.
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/

On Rome's transport website (ATAC), you can enter your start and end points and it will give you exact transport directions, including if you have to walk a block or two for transfers. For the airport, you probably need to enter it as Fiumicino aeroporto.
http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingua=ENG
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kentucky,

We're staying at a B&B off Via Vittorio Amedeo II. It looks like the closest metro stop is Manzoni on Line A (a 4-5 minute walk). Looks like arrival at Termini or Tuscolana would be fine.

That shuttle bus would be fine as well ... although I'm not confident of pre-buying tickets due to arrival (who knows how long it takes to deplane/get bags/customs etc.).

Would you recommend a pre-purchase, or would those usually be empty enough (on a Sunday afternoon) to buy a bus ticket on board.

Thanks again,
George
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM

No way of knowing how crowded a bus may be. They depart hourly, but the FR1 departs every 15 minutes. You would take it from FCO to Tuscolana and then follow ATAC's directions (their directions from FCO are messed up).

get off at stop Tuscolana
walk 550 meters
go to metro stop Ponte Lungo
take Line No METRO A (BATTISTINI) to 3 stops METRO A ogni 3 min.
get off at stop Manzoni
walk 200 meters
to via vittorio amedeo ii,1

You want the metro in direction of Battistini.

If you are planning on using any more transport that day, look into buying the day pass for the metro/bus/tram (4€). I usually suggest purchasing the 3 day Roma Pass which includes two free museum entrances and transportation, but with you arriving on Monday when most things are closed, I'm not sure it would be a good value for you.

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your directions. Looks like the train for us.

We're actually coming in on a Sunday - but unfortunately not with enough time to see much of anything (just a stroll around to see some of the Piazzas/Spanish steps, etc - maybe give the pre-teen daughter some time to shop and make romantic fountain wishes).

We have until Wednesday PM (then catching a train to Florence)

My guess is we'll probably end up getting the Roma pass to see the Colloseum and Borghese, as it seems to make financial sense.

I think the Colloseum/Palatine/Roman forum is open on Monday - if not, we'll do the Vatican.

That would leave Tuesday or Wednesday to the Borghese galleries and enjoy some of the park (my wife is interested in the Maxxi as well, which looks small and close enough to add onto the Borghese day).

Geo
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Yes, the Colosseum/Palantine/Forum (counts as one entrance and can be revisited over the three days) is open on Monday. The first two sites you enter will count as your free ones so you would have to plan accordingly for value. The Borghese requires reservations and you must tell them you are using the pass. Perhaps Colosseum/Forum Monday, Borghese Tuesday morning and Vatican Museum Tuesday afternoon. You might also consider buying the Roma Pass at the airport (can't be used for FR1 or Leonardo) and start using it when you get to the subway. You could visit the Borghese Sunday if you don't think you would be too tired. Last admission is 5 pm.

The Maxxi is not really close to the Borghese. You would need to find a bus connection as it's not near a metro stop. The map that comes with the Roma Pass lists metro/bus/tram #'s to get to the various sites if it's a covered site.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Hi,
I'm a little confused b/c i have to take the same route next week when i go to rome(manzoni station is near my hotel)but it seems like 550 meters to walk from the Tuscolana stop to transfer to Metro A is a very long way to walk.Do I have to pay again to get on metro A or is it considered a transfer?
thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM

You have to pay to get on the metro (1€).
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM

To clear up confusion from the title of the thread, Tuscolana is a train station, not a metro station.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM

It looks as though Ponte Lungo is listed as an FR1 connection between the train system and Metro Line A....then it is only one stop north to Re di Roma, near our hotel this Wednesday night. But on google maps (iPhone version?) it looks like a the train tracks only stop about 3-4 blocks further east at Tuscolana...is this the walk you've all been discussing here? It looks like a straight shoot down Via Gela to do this, but would this be safe around 9pm on a weeknight?

Thanks for any replies!