Tuscany w/a timeshare

Search

Tuscany w/a timeshare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany w/a timeshare

Greetings from the snowy northeast- We're planning a (1st time ever) trip to Tuscany in June and have access to a timeshare about 25 or so miles to the north of Rome. We would like to include Rome, Florence and the general Tuscany region. Should we utilize the timeshare, rent an auto, and attempt to navigate our way around or would it be better to bypass the time share altogether and use a tour company or online agent (go-today.com) since it is our first time ever to the region?Thanks for al your help.WJB
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Use the time share and rent a car. You can get all the help you need here. There's nothing particularly daunting about visiting Tuscany.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree. But where exactly is the timeshare. That <i>might</i> make a difference.

If it is near a town w/ a train station, you can get into Rome and Florence by train just use the car for the countryside.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Its in or near the town of Viterbo which, in taking a quick google look, does not appear to have public transportation.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM

There's a train line through Viterbo.

But I would not advise taking the time share - you'll be quite a distance from all the interesting sights. Viterbo is not in Tuscany. Daytrips to the scenic areas of Tuscany would be too far IMO. Too far to Florence. Too far to Rome too.

You don't need a tour company - let the Fodorites here help you do it yourself!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM

The Viterbo area has a lot of interest in its own right - it's within easy reach of Orvieto and a lot of interesting places in northern Lazio and southern Umbria. The town itself is also well worth a visit. But yes, if your heart is set on Florence and Tuscany, it's not the right place for this trip.

(Oh, and it's both on a train line and has decent bus links in the area, but a car would probably still be best.)
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sometimes RCI and the other timeshare agencies take a lot of liberties when describing locations. I know one in northern England is said to be "near Newcastle" but it is more than 70 miles away.

So - what is the name of the resort?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

If you want to see Tuscany then go to Tuscany. If you want to see Rome and Lazio then stay near Viterbo. It would be hard to do both from one location.