Tuscany vs. Provence vs. Cinque Terre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. It seems I am debating both Tuscany vs. Cinque Terre literally- we can't do both without rushing and I've been to Siena one a day trip (loved it) but not the smaller towns. I have spent a few days i nProvence- smaller towns and just loved it. Am imagining similar feel- lovely hillside towns, food, etc.. What are the differences? Which is more crowded? Is Tuscany drier, less lush? And the Cinque Terre, which would you prefer to visit and why- thanks!
Ps- we are also water lovers, but fear the
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Hi yoga --

I travelled to both last summer and would return to Tuscany w/o a doubt, if given the choice. The scenery is gorgeous in both places, but driving around Tuscany was amazing, straight out of a book. =) Obviously, the food and wine are both incredible, as well.

The pace/amount of tourists was quite a bit less in Tuscany vs. the CT. We were in the area surrounding Montalcino/Pienza/Montepulciano.

As far as water goes, there are beaches in Tuscany, as well as Lake Trasimeno near Cortona, but I can't speak to either. Hopefully someone else will chime in regarding those...

Hope that helps! -- Heather.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM

How many days do you have?
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM

forget CT.

tuscany vs. provence ...i think it comes down to whether you are more fascinated with french or italian food, culture and people.

the feel of the two areas is quite similar in many ways. neither areas are particularly "lush" but within each area the landscape can vary dramically.

personally i would be more likely to return to provence sooner than tuscany but i enjoyed both very much.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. we have 4-5 days in either provence or tuscany and thinking 2-3 for cinque terre. we are not into wine and not really "foodies" - more into nature, beauty of the place (my husband paints). thinking italian drivers are more crazy too!?

Old May 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

That is the perfect amount of time for CT. We were there in April and loved it. Let me know if you want any additional info.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Have been to Tuscany a few tiems and Cinque Terre once. I think 2-3 days in CT is a lot of time. This can be done in one day. I would spend more time in the Tuscan Country side rather than CT. THe beauty of Tuscany is breathtaking. There is water at lakes and depending on where you are in Tuscany, you are not far from the Italian Riviera. I know I am treading on thin water when I say this but IMHO The Cinque Terre is very over rated. Don't get me wrong, it is lovely and facinating to see the houses and the hills on which they are built but it isn't the "holy shrine" that Rick Steves makes it out to be. In one of his shows when he was at CT, he was wispering as if it were a shrine. Crowding depends on what time of year you go. We have always gone in May and have not found the crowds you find in summer.

Haven't been to Provence - that is next on our port of call.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM

I've spent over 12 weeks in Provence, and we're going back for 2 more in a couple of weeks. I've spent 7 weeks in Tuscany, and we're going back for 1 more next June ('06). I've spent 3 days on the CT, and that's enough for me (although I enjoyed it quite a bit).

Here is a post I made several months ago on a Provencd vs. Tuscany thread:

I've spent a considerable amount of time in both places.

My favorite meduim sized town in Europe is Siena. My favorite rolling countryside is the Val d'Orcia around Pienza. It's a tie for small, cute, perched villages. My wife likes shopping in Provence much more than in Tuscany. She likes Tuscany/Umbria pottery more than Provence pottery. I think there is more diversity of terrain in Provence. The coast in Provence is prettier. There are several gorges, mountains (Alps), and caves with stalactites & mites in Provence. The Lavender in Provence is un-matched. Our closest friends have a second home in Tuscany & they have trouble growing lavender there, for some reason.

The markets in Tuscany are nothing like the ones in Provence. Most of the markets we've visited in Tuscany are more like K-Mart parking lot sales (except Florence - have not visited any north of Florence). In Provence, the larger markets (Apt, Aix, Carpentras, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Apt, etc) have several fish vendors, many olive vendors, cheeses, roasting chickens, bread, vegetables, fabric, pottery, soap, antiques, etc.

Food is a matter of taste and I'm not a fan of Tuscany cooking and not that big on Provence either. Other regions of France (Dordogne, Languedoc, Brittany, Loire, Alsace) are more to my taste.

I think Tuscany is easier to visit than Provence. The Rome, Tuscany, Venice shuttle is perfect - especially for a first timer.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca