Tuscany Travel

Oct 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Tuscany Travel

I'm Traveling with a friend to a small town 30 minutes South of Florence with a train station, we've planned for Florence & a day in Venice...we also want to visit Sienna & the Markets/Vineyards in Tuscany (the Tour is charging $125.00 for 1/2 day in Sienna & 1 vineyard) we can take the train to Sienna but don't know what to do next are there taxi's available?.....We are going for 8 days in mid Nov. I can speak a little Italian..I wrote to 3 Vineyards they suggested a wine guide.. I can't afford a personal guide! We would appreciate any help guiding us through Tuscany.
Oct 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM

What's the name of the town?
Oct 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Figline Valdarno, Italy Thanks
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM

From the train station in Siena you can catch a bus into the old town.

If I understand you correctly, you plan a day trip into Venice. It's 3 hours one way on the train, changing in Florence. Too long for a day trip.

It's hard to visit wineries without a car or a car and driver. I'm assuming you won't be renting a car?
Oct 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

no we won't be renting a car, I wanted to know if there will be taxis in Siena for hire? I checked the train schedule and there is a 1st class high speed train to Venice from Florence that takes 1hr 50 min have you taken the trip from Florence to Venice?
Oct 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM

The wineries in Tuscany are not like the wineries in California - with most of them, you need a reservation to tour them. There are a few that allow pop in visitors, but they are the exception. Thus the popularity of wine guides. We have been to Tuscany several times, and only visited a handful of wineries - all of them by ourselves with a car. There are plenty of other things to see and do in this beautiful area that don't need guides. Renting a car is highly recommended. As someone else said Venice is at the other side of the country, not something you would do as a day trip from rural Tuscany.
Oct 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Siena is not easy to reach from Figline Valdarno either (about 2 1/2 hours 9€ each way). You have to change trains in Florence. Check about the latest return trains to Figline Valdarno from Florence so you don't get stuck overnight in Florence.

It's easy to reach the historic center of Siena from the train station. As you leave the station, cross the drive/street and look to your left for a way to go down a level (there are stairs/ramp and elevator)to a parking garage. The bus leaves from down there. There is a ticket machine down there or you can buy a ticket in the little store before leaving the train station. Be sure to stamp your bus ticket when you get on the bus. Purchase a ticket for your return trip at the same time so you don't have to worry about it later.

Is Siena a must? You might look at wine tours closer to Figline Valdarno such as Greve in Chianti if you don't have to include Siena.
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Hi cldh98, I took a day trip from Florence to Venice a few years ago. I know that it might not be preferable but we were on a budget, were staying with friends in Florence and didn't want to spend the money on a hotel in Venice. We enjoyed it very much and if I recall, had enough time in Venice to make the train ride worth it!
Oct 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM

I took a day trip to Venice from Florence about 10 years ago (the three hour train) and my memories of Venice consist of fretting about catching the train back and fighting with my husband (whose idea it was to do the daytrip). I do not recommend it.
Oct 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM

hi cldh,

how long is your stay in figline Valdarno?

would you consider staying a night in venice? you could get the train there, stay over, then if you liked stop off in Florence on the way back.
Oct 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM

If you take a taxi to the center in Siena, get his card and/or arrange for a pick up if you want one. Check return bus schedule if you take it. I personally thought walking from station to center was too strenuous and time-consuming.

Although down hill, it is a fair walk to the train station.
Oct 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Sure the train from Venice to Florence takes just under two hours.

But the train from Figline Valdarno to Florence take half an hour and to make the best connection between the local R train from Figline Valdarno and the fast train to Venice takes 3 hours 10 minutes to 3 hours 39 minutes depending on the time of day.

I can't imagine hiring a taxi/private driver would improve this timing much.

Annhig's suggestion to overnight in Venice and visit Florence on the way back is a good solution.
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help..we were using Sienna as a jump off point we can go anywhere....renting a car for exploring Tuscany sounds like the way to go does anyone know if we can rent a car with a GPS in Italy? my GPS is not equipped with Italy(old) & I can't down load the map to it!
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Yes, you can hire a car with GPS, from AutoEurope anyway.

And remember, ROSSO DI MONTALCINO.
Oct 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

oh yeah, already on the list! I don't care if I have to ride a mule I will be drinking a Brunello or two!
Oct 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Do some Brunello flights in Montalcino. There are lots of places that offer samples/flights. If you want some food and a views while sampling, I like Enoteca Osticcio for the views.
http://www.osticcio.it/index.html