Tuscany, too romantic for family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my parents to Europe next Sept/Oct for their first time. The main point of the trip is to go to Krakow, and I'm trying to decide where else. I am considering Vienna or maybe Budapest. I know my mom's first choice would be Italy. I haven't been to Italy, not sure if I want to do Rome on this trip. Would Tuscany be too "romantic" for a daughter and her parents? We love food, wine and typical sightseeing. Not sure how into art my parents are. Any other suggestions would be helpful.Planning on a total time of about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM

For people who love food, wine and sightseeing, Tuscany would be an excellent choice.

As far as being too romantic, I don't think that should be an issue at all.

From my experience, we found that driving was the best possible way to tour Tuscany. So that would be something to consider when planning...
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM

"Too Romantic"? Not sure what you mean...like you wouldn't be able to control your urges and you might embarrass your parents because you pick up an Italian hunk? If not, then the answer is no. Tuscany is beautiful, especially that time of year. You would have a lovely time stepping way back into time when visiting the incredible hilltop towns. Will you have a car?
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I forgot about the italian hunks; my mother would probably be thrilled. I meant am I going to feel out of place, in other words, a third wheel. I haven't gotten as far as planning actually getting around; if car is the way to go, then I would probably do that. What about somewhere on the coast and/or in addition to Tuscany?

What are crowds going to be like that time of year? I went to Europe in Jan and am a bit spoiled by the emptiness (even though it was very cold).
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:38 AM
cmt

<<Would Tuscany be too "romantic" for a daughter and her parents?>>

No, the place is not romantic unless you are romantic. It's a great destination if you are interested in the history and enjoy visiting beautiful towns and countryside.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM

So you're worried about being a 3rd wheel..maybe thinking that your parents may embarrass you with thier..never mind. You'd find that atmospere more in Paris than in Tuscany..unless you happen to be with your partner, then it's romatic anywhere you go.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Although my husband would have loved more "romance", our two teenaged sons, my 40-something single brother and I thoroughly enjoyed our 5 days in Tuscany last spring. We based in Siena and made day trips to Assisi, San Gimigiano and Florence! The food, the wine, the art, the beautiful countryside and quaint towns were all quite wonderful.

We were there in late March 2004 and had delightful, dry weather with temps in the mid-60s.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The more I read/think about it, the more I am leaning towards the Tuscany region. I was originally planning Octoberfest, until I priced it. My parents will much more enjoy a good chianti veruses beer. This site was so helpful in my first trip to Europe. I cannot wait till this trip, even thought it's a year away!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Definitely consider driving your way through Tuscany. Driving affords you the luxury of a very flexible trip, stopping wherever and whenever you wish.

Driving through the Crete and on some of the white roads was a fabulous experience.

The most difficult part of planning this trip will be which towns to visit...but it's a win-win situation. Each town has something special to offer.