Tuscany Itinerary Help Please!

Jan 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Tuscany Itinerary Help Please!

My husband and I will be in Italy for 16 nights next Sept/Oct. Starting in the Amalfi coast - ending in Venice with a week
in Tuscany in between. We plan on spending 6 nights in the country and 2 nights in Florence. (We've been to Florence before, but not the country.) We found a fabulous place to stay in Montalcino - Castello di Velona, which we can use for our base. We're renting a car so we can do day trips to all the villages and sites in So. region.
Here's my question: What's the better plan?#1. Stay in Montalcino for all 6 nights with day trips to Chianti/Sienna/San Gim. At the end, return the rental car in Chuisi and train to Florence?
#2. Or, Stay in Montalcino for 4 nights, then drive to Sienna region and stay for 2 nights, then drive to Florence?
We're not entirely comfortable with the idea of driving in Florence, so the train idea sounds more comfortable for us.
I need and appreciate some experienced opinions please!

Jan 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Diane,

We recently did a very similar trip, 3 months ago, and spent the entire week in Montalcino, then another 5 days in Florence and ended with 2 nights in Rome. Check out my trip report of October 2006 for very detailed info about most of what you requested. If you have trouble finding the report, or need any other specific info, let me know. I will be happy to try and help.
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I love Montalcino,bt if you stay there the entire time you will do too much driving to experience much of Tuscany.
With the days getting shorter,I would split my time.
Most often, we stay in Chianti and either Montalcino or nearby.
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Hi Diane,

Based on two trips to Tuscany and Umbria, I would also vote for splitting time between southern and more northern Tuscany.

I found I didn't care for backtracking every day!

Have lots of Brunello for me and be sure to have dinner at Grappolo Blu.

Buon viaggio!
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi D,

2A. Drop the car in Siena and take the bus to Florence. You won't have to schlep your luggage as much.

Jan 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM

We chose Sinlunga in southern Tuscany at Locanda dell Amorosa & explored Montalcino, Pienza, Montelpulciano, then drove to Castellina in Chianti at Villa Casalecchi to explore the chianti area, San G, Siena & then a day in Florence on the way to Verona & Venice. For first timers I felt we had a perfect trip!
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I will definitley take your advice and do 4 nights in Montalcino and then 2 nights in the Sienna area. Then we don't need to backtrack too much.

Flame, I will read and print out your trip report for ideas on where to go around Montalcino etc. Ira...thanks for the tip regarding taking the bus to Florence! Great Idea! You guys are the best!
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Diane,

If you are interested, read the Tuscany/Umbria portion of my report for Sept 05. Search for "Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy".

Ciao
Jan 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM

The Brunello wines produced in the Montalcino area are, in my opinion, the best in the world. Enjoy!
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Hi, We stayed 5 nights at Catello di Velona. We had a rental car and visited many wineries and towns. We drove to Sienna for 1 day, drove to Chuisi and took the train to Florence another day. It was nice not having to pack up and move as often. We splurged on the last night and had dinner at Castello Banfi winery. It was worth it. Castello di Velona was beautiful. Make sure to continue to Voltara past San Gim.