Tuscany CT Itinerary Blessing from the Experts Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've finally got a plan. Thanks for all of the help. Flying in and out of Pisa, rental car 2 weeks, staying in towns to be able to walk to dinner, already seen the big three. How does this sound?

Siena - 3 nights Palazzo Ravizza Tour Siena and Chianti area
San Quirico - 3 nights Pallazzo del Capitano Tour Southern Tuscany
San Gimignano - 2 nights La Cisterna Tour Volterra area
Cinque Terre Monterosso - 4 nights Porto Roca (is this a good choice?)Tour CT and Portofino
Lucca (to be near airport) - 2 nights Hotel not decided yet, suggestions?

We didn't want to move too much, but from reading all of the postings about evenings in San Gimignano, it sounded too nice to pass up. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Hi easygoer: I like the fact that you picked smaller towns to explore (vs the larger ones like Florence, Rome, etc). My first impression is that 4 nights (5 days) in the Cinque Terre is long, however, if you want to really relax and not do too much, that might be nice. The 5 towns can be seen in 1 day via the local trains/5-Terre boats, as well as day trips up to Portofino, Camogli, Sestri Levante, etc.

In Lucca, the Hotel Puccini (www.hotelpuccini.com/email: [email protected]), is a wonderful, intimate property in the heart of Lucca with singles starting at 80 euros. The Hotel Diana (http://www.albergodiana.com/email:[email protected]) is located inside and near the city walls, very conveniently located across from the train station (doubles with bathroom/shower = 67 euros). I have stayed at both places and like them very much.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply Huitres, we love the Mediterranean and seafood, that's why we added an extra day to CT. Since the first day and last will be travel days in and out. That gives us 3 full days. We will reconsider staying only 3 nights, since it sounds like we can enjoy CT 1 day and drive the coast to Positano the next day. Question then would be where to add the extra night? Thanks again. All of your postings have been a great help for our planning.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
ira

Hi easy,

>...sounds like we can enjoy CT 1 day and drive the coast to Positano the next day. <

Did you mean Portofino?

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hi easygoer, not sure where you would want the extra night? It appears that you have accounted for all your days unless I am missing something here?

I love Lucca, so if it is a matter of adding a day, why not there? Lucca is near Carrara, the famous marble quarries, so you could take a day trip there. Alternatively, the Villa Garzoni and Pinocchio Park in Collodi might be a different, nice day trip. Collodi is near Lucca, you can take a LAZZI bus from Lucca's Piazzale Verdi to Collodi. Also, when I was in Lucca 4 months ago, I attended a shortened opera performance of Puccini's that featured women performing songs from Madame Butterfly, La Tosca, Turandot, etc. It was performed in the wonderful San Giovanni church on a Thursday evening. The Puccini series began in the Fall 2004 and might be a regular series throughout the year in Lucca. You might be able to catch a performance if that interests you.

You might refer to my trip report for additional information on the CT, Lucca, and Volterra areas: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34539759

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Opps, I did mean Portofino. I had Positano on my brain. I was reading the post about Positano verses Sorrento. Tuff call. We loved Positano.

Huitres, I have your report in my Italy file already. It was terrific. I've posted reports with those annoying ? marks too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Overall, I love it--seems to have a familar ring to it. You do not really need to stay in San Gimig. unless you just want to experience new hotels and the town after hours. The entire loop to Volterra/San Gim./Monteriggioni is an easy day trip from Siena--it is only an hour drive to Volterra.
Great hotel choices--you will have a fabulous trip. Be sure to see the 2 abbeys from San Quirico, and eat at Vecchio Forno, also owned by Roberto who owns the hotel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM

easygoer,
We stayed at La Cisterna for 4 nights - loved it - great views (sigh) - we ate 3 nights at Cheriberi to the left down the hill about halfway - I'm sure there are other great places, but we had such tasty food we kept going back there and loved it.
have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Brahmama, you're a mind reader. I searched the boards for Lucca and came up with La Cisterna, even sent them an e-mail requesting dates. Per Huites suggestion, we are cutting CT back to 3 nights and staying in Lucca 3 nights at the end of our trip. Seems to be a great place to slow down and enjoy local flair.

Does any one have opinions about our choice of hotel in Cinque Terre. I've recently read reviews about Porto Roca that made it seem small, old and over priced. We're not adverse to spending money but don't want to be disappointed. Finding a town with great restaurants for seafood is a major factor. Perhaps they are all similar. Thanks to all!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM

Easy, one thing is for sure - you will love Hotel Ravissa in Siena. Can't wait to go back.

Enjoy! Helen
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:41 PM

Is La Cisterna within walking distance of the city center? From the way they mention you can only have your car to load/unload I would think so, but from the views it seems a bit further out.

Looks like a great itinerary easygoer! When in CT 2 yrs ago, we had the best sea food in Manarola - tiny town, go the the outdoor place overlooking the Med - no idea of the name, but you can't miss it, there are only 3 restaurants in the town, and the one I speak of is the only one 'on the water'. I say that with quotes as its up higher, but you overlook the sea.

BTW, now you have me torn between staying in Lucca or San G! I thought I had decided...sigh.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

This planning is making me silly. La Cisterne is in San Gimignano not Lucca. We booked Pallazzo Alexander for Lucca. This seems to be a good choice. They are asking $250.00 per night for a junior suite. Has anyone stayed in a regular double room?
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM

I see you already have your itinerary set, but my web site can still help you. There are descriptions of several trips to italy including two to tuscany and one to Liguria.

Here's the URL:
http://www.travel.stv77.com/