Tuscany car pick up question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- I am traveling with an older (than me) person (85).
We'll have a brief visit to Florence and then plan to spend some days diving around Tuscany in a rented car, basing out of Montalcino.
I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just pick up the car in Florence and drive down to Montalcino from there, or take the bus to SIena to pick up the car. I'm trying for the easier, stress-free way to do things. Has anyone driven out of Florence to S. Tuscany, as opposed to renting in Siena? Any pros and cons would be much appreciated. I'll be doing all the driving, and have driven in Italy before.
Thanks very much in advance for any responses
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM

i have done both....you are not allowed to drive in florence proper....

it would be much easier to drive imo, than taking a bus or train to someplace else and then switching to a car....

driving can be a bit frustrating in italy, off of main roads as there is little singage.....get yourself a good road atlas....any gas station will have one or a book shop....
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, I think I'm leaning towards pick up in Florence and driving down. I've actually driven several times in Italy already and that part of it won't be too hard for me- I am more concerned with making things seem easy for the person I'm traveling with. I think the car will be easier than trains, buses, transfers, and taxis.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Just a suggestion something we have done that has worked well... after getting our rental car we hire a taxi to take us to the road we need (I ride in the taxi while my husband follows in the rental) saves time and frustration
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I guess I should add ....

use this just to get out of the city congestion and going the correct way!!!! though their have been times I wished the cabbie was with us the whole way that can be part of the fun