Tuscany and Umbria

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Jeff

Tuscany and Umbria

In mid-September my wife and I will be starting a three week bike trip of Tuscany and Umbria. We are flying into and out of Florence. Any suggestions for towns/interesting/beautiful places to visit? How about recommendations for lodgings? Any tips for traveling in this area?

Thank you.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:57 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jeff, That is a big question. I recently planned a similar trip for 3 other couples for biking routes in Tuscany. I have lots of ideas but too much to cover here. Contact me directly if you want specifics.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 10:42 PM
steffanie

Hey Jeff don't miss Siena or Lucca...amazing towns

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Jeff

Thanks. I Siena and Lucca are on the list.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Capo

I just spent one day in Arezzo (southeast of Florence & northeast of Siena) a few weeks ago and loved it. It has a great old town (though not as wonderful as Siena's), with a very interesting & picturesque sloped central square, the Piazza Grande. It also has a beautiful & restful park at the top of the town, situated between the cathedral and the former Medici fortress. Arezzo is also where Roberto Begnini filmed the beginning scenes to Life is Beautiful (I believe he grew up somewhere nearby.)

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Mike

Montepulchiano, Montelcino, Pienza (our favorite), Montefollonico, Cetona. The best part of Tuscany and Umbria is discovering your own favorite hill town. There's a great inn in Pienza right off the town square; do a search in Yahoo...We stayed at Locanda dell'Amorosa. It is what you've dreamt an inn in Tuscany to be, and more. They have a website too. Ciao.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 04:57 PM
RJD

My favorites in Umbria are Assisi, Torgiano and Perguia. Assisi is a wonderful experience, despite the crush of tourists, for it religious and architectural interest. Torgiano is a small town with a wine museum and provocative samples. Perugia has a medieval flavor. It's pleasant old town on top of a hill has many good restaurants.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Patti

HI--I absolutely loved Norcia in Umbria but it is quite hilly and out of the way if you're biking it. The town and the surrounding area, however, are gorgeous and the town is not too far from the Piano Grande, Mt. Vettore and the Sibillini mountains.

I also found Gubbio (also in Umbria) to be quite lively and un-touristy with many worthwhile things to see--a nice little museum, the remains of a Roman Amphitheater, etc. If you go, take the funicular ride up to the church of Sant' Ubaldo (I think that's what it's called--don't have my journal in front of me.) Not for those with a fear of heights but the views!

Also, near Assisi (on the next hill over) is Spello, which I liked too. There's not a lot there to see but it was fun to walk around for a half a day.

Have fun!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:41 AM
sally

Hi Jeff: I love many of the above mentioned places, especially Spello and feel that San Gimignano and Orvieto are also well worth your time, if you can fit them into your itinerary. What are you looking for as far as lodging? Do you want to stay in hotels/b&bs, villas or are you camping along the way also? I recommend that you try to get a copy of Fodors/Rivages: Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm In Italy, as it has many "out of the way" places to stay as well as others in larger towns and cities. The book may be a tad hard to find; try amazon.com. Have a great trip. Regards, Sally

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:57 AM
marj

recommendation in orvieto: HOTEL PALAZZO PICCOLOMINI, it's a lovely 4* hotel and very reasonable. email is [email protected] and website is www.argoweb.it/hotel_piccolomini

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Kathy

Make certain you get to Fiesole, but don't stay there--prices are out of this world. We backed a picnic lunch & headed up there--the view looking down on Florence is breathtakingly gorgeous. The inclines up to Fiesole are extremely steep, so it might be impossible to bike up there. I'd recommend taking the bus from in front of the Florence train station. If you do this, make certain it's a nice clear day to give you an unspoiled view. Orvieto is charming & you will easily find someone there who will explain to you how Orvieto Classico wine is made; unfortunately it is a wine that doesn't travel too well.
Bon Viaggio,
Kathy

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 05:11 AM
Jeff

Thank you all for sharing your advice. After reading your suggestions I am depressed. Three weeks is no where near enough time for this trip. Well I guess we will just have to make do. Oh the sacrafices one must make in life.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 01:47 PM
coco

Jeff,
Many excellent suggestions here to help you plan your itinerary. I'd only like to add that Perugia--well worth a visit-- has developed a massive sprawl and would be best approached from the south, the little 2 lane road from Deruta. I'm afraid you'll be asphyxiated off your bikes otherwise! Enjoy this fab trip.