Tuscany and Rome with family in late June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 13 day trip to Italy in late June with my wife and 2 kids, 10 yr old boy and 15 yr old girl. We fly into Rome on a Thursday, plan 2 nights there, then we are renting a place for 1 week (Sat to Sat)outside Siena and plan to do day trips from there to the countryside and to Florence and maybe Assisi or Pisa. I plan to use the Stu Dudley driving itineraries posted here, which look great. My question is what to do for the Saturday and Sunday nights after Siena. We have a hotel for the last 2 nights (Monday and Tuesday) back in Rome before our flight home early Wed AM. I think the kids may have had enough of the country drives and I think the 4 nights total planned for Rome is probably enough. Can anyone think of a change of pace that is family friendly and reachable from Siena, yet still leave us in striking distance of Rome? Are any beach resorts worth a night or 2? The guide books sound discouraging about beaches due to overcrowding. Should we head up to Bologna? Down to Naples/Pompeii? or is that too much travelling? Spend a night in Florence? An additional night in Rome? Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM

Drive to Monte Argentario and stay at Porto San Stefano for a good coastal experience. Or, stay outside Orvieto and see Civita and Pitigliano from there. Check out Locanda Rosati.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:15 PM

I'd suggest Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius as an attractive alternative for the kids.
With two days, one could even be spent going to Capri. They'll love that!

That area is only about 2-3 hours beyond Rome, so it's certainly do-able IMO.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Pausanias

You might return the car Saturday morning early, take the train to Naples and spend your two nights there. Get in a visit to Pompeii or Capri. Possibly both, if you go to Capri Sunday and Pompeii Monday, then take a late afternoon train to Rome.

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

2 votes so far for Naples/Pompeii/Capri. I don't know much about Porto San Stefano or Civita. What are they like?
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM

I would recommend a night in Florence. It's really quite beautiful and not a large city, so it's a different pace from Rome. There's also a lot to see, but I'm not sure how patient kids would be after seeing X amount of sculpture and art in general. The churches are really amazing and there are so many museums it's hard to narrow down the choices. It's more akin to Siena, although Siena is smaller. Cinque Terra is a nice costal city, but it might be a bit far for you. It's closer to Florence than Rome.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:46 PM

Oh and I would also recommend Capri. It's amazing. Naples has a higher crime rate than other cities, so that's something to be aware of. Pickpocketing and Italy go hand-in-hand.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Clarification: Please don't count my comments as a vote for Naples!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Pausanias

Please do count my comment as a vote for Naples, although if you want a pool you might choose Sorrento. I find Naples far more interesting. You can reach Capri and Pompeii easily from either. Sorrento is another forty minutes or so south of Naples.

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Anybody been to the Monte Argentario area? Is it worth a day or 2?