Tuscany

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany

Family of four adults looking to spend the first two weeks of May in Italy...probably Tuscany. Would like to rent a villa and take day trips. Understand car rentals are very expensive in Italy, would consider flying in to another location. HELP!!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM

Car rentals in Italy are not especially expensive - but renting in one country and dropping off in another will often result in a several hundred dollar drop off fee. Have you shopped all the agencies to see what kind of price you can get?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM

The only difference between car rental prices in Italy and elsewhere is that you must have certain types of insurance in Italy that aren't always required in other countries, but that hardly makes a huge difference. What could make a huge difference would be flying into another country, renting a car there, and either dropping it off in Italy or having to pay for fuel and tolls to get where you want to go in Italy. So I would plan to rent the car in Italy. Check with Kemwel and AutoEurope, car brokers that can get you good deals
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM

Flying in to another location ... to stay somewhere else not in Tuscany?

You want to reduce the total cost, right? If you reduce the car rental cost but increase other costs, then you are not better off.

Let me make an assumption. Rent a villa --> staying in a small town or outside big cities. Then you would likely to need a car.

Obvious cost saving strategy is to rent a smallest stick-shift car you care to drive. Besides looking for various rental options, add TOTAL costs: rental, gas, toll, and the parking. Also consider other non direct immediate expense items like the ZTL restriction.

The more you add large cities to your itinerary, the less attractive the car option gets. You can manage large city related expense by doing large->get car->small->drop car->large cities instead of get car->small->large->small->drop car. The latter hits you with the rental and parking fees on the days you are idling your car in a big city parking lot.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM

Spend time at slowtrav.com for reviews and guidance on Villa rentals. Here is more info about drving in Italy--you will want a car in Tuscany.

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is www.autoeurope.com [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, mandatory insurance coverage with some deductibles, and VAT taxes. It is wise to compare prices and coverage with their sister company at www.kemwel.com. Autoeurope will match any comparable quote, and are famous for their customer satisfaction if problems do arise with the vendor. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $15. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM

Definitely fly into Florence or Rome and pick up and drop off at the airports of either. Two wonderful proprties that I can recommend ideal for day trips to all the sights. http://www.vignamaggio.it/index-english.html and http://www.posarellivillas.com/_1088__index.phtm (Montegufoni Castle)
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM

I agree with flying into Rome or Florence and pick up the car at the airport. Use autoeurope.com or kemwel.com (or call them) for car rental. Be sure to look at the deductables when considering the price.

May is a great time to visit Tuscany. Everything is green, beautiful and the days are long. Here is where I enjoy staying in Tuscany (5 times), located just outside of Pienza. It is very central and beautiful-

http://fontebertusi.com/eng/

I like the Insight Guide Tuscany for pointing me in the right direction for exploring-

http://www.amazon.com/Insight-Guide-.../dp/1585733008
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that I have been out of touch. Thanks for the suggestions, I have been checking out the websites. Please help me with planning this trip, I want to do it right. We will fly into either Rome or Florence. I would like to spend a three days in Rome. We will have the first two weeks in May for the trip. I think that we want to be in Tuscany in an area that will be centally located for day adventures, evening with great food and wine, and whatever else we should not miss. We have traveled a fair amount in Europe, but this is the first time for Italy. Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM

I would suggest an open jaw and fly into one city and out of the other. You could fly into Florence, spend a few days there, then rent a car and head into tuscany for a week, head south toward Rome, drop your car at the airport and spend a few days in Rome.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Check out luxurylink.com. There are some interesting properties at great savings in Tuscany.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Check kayak.com for multi-city flights.

The area I suggested in my previous post, southern Tuscany near Pienza, is perfect and central for day adventures and great food and wine. There are a lot of villages and towns to explore. I feel it is the most beautiful part of Tuscany. After busy Rome, you will enjoy settling in, relaxing, eating, drinking, lounging by the pool, exploring, hiking, etc. It's good for the soul.

I would start in Rome and then train to the town of Chiusi (1 hour drive to Pienza area) or Orvieto (1.5-2 hour drive to Pienza area) and pick up the car there. Spend time in southern Tuscany and then either return to Rome or move on to Florence (drop the car in Chiusi and continue by train or drive to the Florence airport and drop it there + taxi to hotel). Spend some time (3 days or more) in Florence before flying out.

Do you have any particular interests that would help us with making suggestions?
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I am working hard to finalize the flights, two flying from one destination and one from here and one from there, all in the SE!!
My husband and I will be flying into FCO and have a few days before the kids fly in. I know that it was suggested to fly from FLR on the return, but I am not finding it to be a bit complicated and US Airways has just added a non stop into CLT. How bad is the drive from Tuscany to FCO? We are planning to pick up the car outside of Rome as suggested by zoecat. We will be in Italy for two weeks. Any other thoughts on flights are more than welcome.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM

Look for multi-city flights into Pisa and out of Rome or vice versa. Pisa is a much bigger airport than Florence and has more international flights. Plus it's an easy one-hour train ride to Florence from the airport.