tuscany

Feb 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

tuscany

3-4 nights in tuscany in august, which town would you suggest as a "base camp" for exploring Tuscany? we want relaxing and laid back.
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM

San Quirico d' Orcia
August will be hot.
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM

I agree with Bob: Val d'Orcia is a perfect base, both for short and long periods. One of the most beautiful landscape of Tuscany, although in August nature is not at its best, because of the dry and hot climate. San Quirico is a fine village, close to Pienza and Montepulciano, less than 1-hour trip from magnificent Siena. Book in advance a farmhouse, there are a lot in this area but more and more people are going to choose this kind of holidays. If it is possible avoid the Ferragosto week.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

I also recommend the Val d'Orcia area. My favorite place to stay is the agriturismo Fonte Bertusi, located just 5 minutes outside of Pienza and 10 minutes from San Quirico d'Orcia. It is beautiful and laid back. Having a pool in August is a must.

http://tinyurl.com/afbw3l

Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM

In Greve or its environs is also a fine option...that was what we did on our first stay in Tuscany...another option is Montepulciano as that was also convenient to many towns.
cheers,
CC

Search this Thread