Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Montepulciano or Montalcino base in southern Tuscany

Feb 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

I am looking for a recommendation in southern Tuscany. I have found Meublè Il Riccio in Montepulciano. Has anyone stayed there? Any other suggestions? Would Montepulciano or Montalcino be a better location for a short 2 night stay? I will be renting a car at the Rome airport and want to explore the countryside.

Also, could you recommend a good map of southern Tuscany?

TIA
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM

We spent three nights in Montalcino (acutally just outside) at La Crociona Agritourismo and were delighted. The staff is enthusiastic, warm, etc. We were greeted like long lost friends after exchanging a few emails to set up the reservation. The apartment was more than adequate and the onsite restaurant was very good. We used Montalcino as our base to explore the area's wineries, Sant Antimo and the village itself. We were there in August so our children could lounge at the pool while we toured the wineries. The entire area is very beautiful...regardless of where you stay. Enjoy!
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM

I liked staying in Montepulciano but have not stayed at Il Riccio. However, I just saw a tv show in which Rick Steves based himself there and made forays to other towns. I have to admit that it looked lovely. I agree with Cmeyer: It is hard to go wrong in that region!
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Personally I prefer Pienza, which is right in between Montipulciano and Montalcino. It's easier to drive in and out of. Another such place is San Quirico d'Orcia.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Montepulciano is a better jumping off point than the others for the region - among other things its close to the autostrada.

Heres a rental alternative there but Im not sure whether they do 2 days
http://parisrometuscany.freeservers.com/monte.html

we used castello di gargonza, near monte san savino for our tuscan base, but its farther north than perhaps you want to be. The autostrada makes these areas much closer, however.
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Hi Also try politian.com for apts in Montepulciano...

S
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Hi Tia,

I stayed IN Montalcino as my primary interest was tasting the Brunello! I loved Montalcino and enjoyed being able to sample small town life in the evenings and walk to Grappolo Blu for dinner each night.

From Montalcino I visited Pienza, Montepulciano, Monte Oliveto, and Sant' Antimo and did a long, leisurely drive one afternoon.

Montepulciano is the largest out of the 3. Lots of shopping.

Montalcino is unique for its Fortezza and it's all about the Brunello.

Pienza is very scenic and easy to walk being relatively flat. However - all the tour buses stop there and its jammed with visitors during the day. It you stay there and day trip OUT, it would be similar to the San Gimignano situation - you come back when most of the visitors are leaving.

All have wonderful views and are just a short, scenic drive between.

I would choose Montalcino again in a heartbeat, but people tend to love best where they stay!

Buon viaggio!
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I also recommend Pienza. I stayed at Hotel Relais Chiostro di Pienza and enjoyed it.
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Like Dayle, we also stayed IN Montalcino. We loved the Hotel Del Capitano. Great views and a beautiful pool area. It was nice to stroll to dinner and bacl without having to drive. Grapolo Blu was SO good.

We would go back in a heartbeat.