Tuscany 4 nights end of May

Jan 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Tuscany 4 nights end of May

Hi everyone,

I desperately need help choosing Tuscany towns to visit. This is the only region I know very little about. I know that many of these towns are must sees: Siena, Montepulciano, Cortona, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano.

Last year I spent one full day in Florence to see the David and Duomo and would now like to experience the tuscan towns on a leisurely four day trip. I'm in Italy 10 total days fyi, with 4 days dedicated to tuscany. Our budget is flexible 500euro+. I'd be interested in creating an itinerary for these 4 days, staying at 1 or 2 charming places, I'm not a hotel snob so anything highly recommended would be appreciated.

Also, should we attempt driving?

Thanks in advance,
natalie
Jan 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Yes, you will need a car to see Tuscany well. It is larger than you may think and one location is tough to se it all, but with 4 days you need to choose well anyway.
I would stay all 4 nites near Siena and plan 4 day trips like this:
1. San Gimignano & Volterra
2. Siena and parts of Chianti
3. Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, St. Antimo
4. Abbey Oliveto Maggiore, Pienza, Montepulciano
That will be a full plate. Cortona is doable from there but why? Lucca and Pisa are too far. Have fun !
Jan 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Bob - thank you for replying! I know you are very knowledgable and trust your opinion. I think we will take your advice.

What do you think of Locanda Amorosa in Siena? Do you have any recommendations for hotels in Siena?

Thanks in advance,
Natalie
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM

See your other post[s].
Locanda Amorosa is great but is 30 miles from Siena. You are a busy girl Natalie !
Jan 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
dgg

Consider staying in an agritoursim lodging. The two that I've stayed in are the Salvadonica, about 20 minutes outside of Florence and San Sano, a tiny village in the Chianti region. Both were nice. We took day trips throughout the villages and wineries in the countryside. Both had a pool, but the nicest thing was walking outside in the morning to look at rolling hills and vineyards. The peaceful evenings were priceless. Google agritoursim and find one in a section of Tuscany that interests you the most.