Tuscan Itinerary - HELP!

Old Sep 27th, 1998, 11:48 AM
Matt

Tuscan Itinerary - HELP!

My fiance and I are going to be honeymooning in Italy this Oct/Nov. We have reservations at the Grand Hotel Villa Cora in Florence and <BR>at the Scalinata di Spagna in Rome. We'll be driving from Florence to Rome staying 3 nights in the Tuscan, and perhaps Umbrian countryside. I am having trouble planning the driving itinerary so it is making it hard to pick hotels. I had thought to stay at la Badia in Orvieto for our last night before <BR>going to Rome, but cannot decide on the other two hotels. I was thinking that having one place convenient to the San Gimignano/ Siena/Voltara area and another perhaps in Chianti might work well. Sadly, I don't believe this short itinerary has time for Lucca. <BR>So, thats my story. <BR>I'd appreciate any suggestions you can offer, on places to eat, sleep and gaze in awe. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 11:39 AM
kam

Matt, am trying to get this to you a second time. For the Siena/S. Gimignano/ Montepuciano area, try the Locanda dell'Amorosa in Sinalunga--guarantee it's very romantic, but fax now! 011-39-0577-678216. Farther down almost in Umbria in Torgiano try Le Tre Vaselle--cozy hotel in middle of nice town with outstanding restaurant and wine selection. The owners are a famous wine making family. 011-39-075-9880214 or in Todi, a lovely little town in Umbria, try the Bramante at 011-39-075-8948074. Your idea of La Badia is right on target. I would just head south on the A1, getting off wherever I wanted to go. First Siena and S. Gimignano, then back up into Chianti. You can't avoid a certain amount of backtracking on this trip, but make use of the autostade as much as possible. If you've never been in this area, I would consider 2 nights at the Locanda and then the third in Orvieto. Each of Siena and San Gimignano could take their own day and a day on the Chianti Wine Route which passes through some wonderful little towns. And, one day in Orvieto and that's it. Maybe keep Umbria for your first anniversary Buon Viaggio. But, hurry!! <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 09:36 PM
Matt

<BR>Kam, Thanks so much for all the great info, the Locanda seems very appealing. I had originally hoped to go to Relais La Suvera, unfortunately they close too early for us. Do you think we could go to Lucca and comfortably circle down to Sinalunga? I'm trying to map out our routes to specifically include some exciting driving -great views and twisty fun roads so any further ideas for restaurants and sights 'not to be missed' would be appreciated. <BR>Matt

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 01:09 PM
Humberto

Matt, <BR> <BR>Juust returned from the Tuscan hilltowns and found that a perfect place to stay is the Albergo Scacciapensieri just outside Siena. It has all the amenities including a fine restaurant. The view of the surrounding area is typical of the Tuscan region. This is a perfect spot to venture to Siena, San Gimigiano & Volterra. Also I highly recommend you visit Civita di Bagnoregio on your way to Roma. This is the "HILLTOWN" to visit. It is a MUST!!! Happy Travels

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 07:37 PM
Sally O'Neil

We are going back to our favorite hotel in Italy for the third time this November. It is La Cisterna in San Gimignano- a three star,15th century pallazo with very attractive views of the Tuscan hills-for only 130,000 to 150,000 lire per night.We had no problem parking in the lot just outside the walls and no problem using this as a base for visiting other hill towns.The town, crowded in the daytime, is lovely and deserted at night.

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 09:42 PM
Anntoinette

I would suggest you NOT plan everything so precise in Italy. Also you should spend time in Lucca...it is better than all other Tuscan HILL Towns. <BR> <BR>Do not forget to go to Portifino, Italy. It is quite possibly the most romantic place in the world. <BR> <BR>ENJOY... and please know I do know.

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 01:02 PM
kam

Matt, you could go to Lucca, if you make use of the autostrade. If so, a very romantic hotel is Villa La Principessa on State Route 12 about 2 miles west of Lucca itself. Pretty villa with lovely breakfast, gardens and easy parking. If you want really adventurous driving, you should drive up in the Garfagnana area just north of Lucca--but be careful! Italians are serious drivers and take a lot of risks. I would still prefer to spend my honeymoon at the Locanda! I can't read your post while answering this--something's wrong with Fodor's but you would need to give up a day from Florence to see Lucca--it's the opposite direction from Siena. If you drive like an Italian and stay on the autostrada it's probably 3 hours from Lucca to Siena. Buon Viaggio. <BR>