Reload this Page >

Best towns/sights to see on Romantic Road

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 06:39 PM
Chris

We will be spending 3-4 days on the Romantic Road in a car. We will be starting south (Fussen area) and ending in Frankfurt for a departing flight. We're planning to stay in Rothenburg 1 night. Where else would you recommend going and seeing given our time frame and distance to travel. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 07:00 PM
Arizona

The Michelin Green Guide for Germany has a good rundown on what to see and do along the Romantic Road. It takes you mile by mile,with lots of good suggestions.

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 06:43 AM
Beth

If you have the time, try to take a cruise on the Rhine. It is really beautiful and fun!

Old Sep 26th, 1998, 09:26 AM
Bob

From Fussen, drive over to Oberammergau and Garmisch area. Visit Linderhof to compare it to Neuschwanstein in Fussen. 3 to 4 days may be a little long just on the Romantic road. Rothenburg is touristy, but one of our favorite stops. Will be back there in Nov for Christmas fairs. In Rothenburg check out the nightwatchman tour . In English, it leaves from the main square at dusk and is a walk aronnd the city at night with tour guide. Only charge is a tip at the end. <BR>

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 03:24 PM
wes fowler

Chris, <BR>By all means, visit the Wieskirche, an absolutely astounding masterpiece of Bavarian Rococo. It's a stunning church in a lovely setting, sitting in pastureland with cows all around. It's just north of Fussen. Stop, too, at the town of Rottenbuch and view the splendor of the Rococo church there. A good place to stop for lunch might be Schongau at the Alte Post Hotel in the main square. The hotel has a restaurant and an in-house bakery. Stroll along the remnants of the old wall that surround the town and work off the calories from the restaurant's baked goods.

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 06:22 PM
Chris

Thanks everybody for your responses. I'm a first-timer to Europe and planning our trip completely independent. This forum has been tremendous help!!! One more thing, do you think spueezing in a Rhine cruise at the end is worthwhile, and if so, where do you recommend going and what's the travel distance from Rothenburg? Thanks again for your help.

Old Sep 29th, 1998, 06:02 AM
Richard

Chris, My wife and I did this trip in May of this year, on our bikes, and enjoyed it immensely. In Fussen we stayed at the Hotel Schlossgasthof at Ritterstrasse 6. We visited Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau and took the cable car up to Tegelberg, all highly recommended. Lots of interesting towns between Fussen and Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen and Donauworth come to mind. In Rothenburg we stayed at the Hotel Hornburg. If you have time, Heidelberg is well worth a stop and is only about 1 1/2 hour from the Frankfurt airport. For good maps and travel times, go to www.euroshell.com, really good info. <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 1998, 10:00 AM
Lee

Chris: Taking a trip over to the Rhine is a very good idea. <BR> <BR>The cruise itself is OK, but unless it's a Rhein am Flamin" (Rhine on Fire), then I wouldn't suggest the cruise. The "Rhine on Fire" is done a couple of times a year where fireworks are shot off from all of the castles at nightfall. It looks as if the Rhine is burning! Quite spectacular. <BR> <BR>I prefer to drive the Rhine starting at Rudesheim where you can stroll through the famous Drosselgasse and up to the cable car ride above the vineyards. Then, head toward Koblenz (about 70 km), stopping at the little towns and at the Lorelei. Once at Koblenz, dcross the bridge and drive down to Mainz on the other side, again visiting the little towns along the way, finally ending up in Mainz, and by all means, stop at the cathedral. You get a much better feel for the trip by driving and stopping and you can still see all of the great castles. <BR> <BR>From Rothenburg, take autobahn A7 to autobahn A3, heading toward Frankfurt and then just "cross" south of Frankfurt, heading over to Weisbaden to Eltville and then Rudesheim. Join the Rhine at that point. It's about three hours from Rothenburg. <BR> <BR>All of the other points that the other posters provided are very good ones. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 11:43 AM
Don Stadler

We enjoyed Dinklesbuhl evem more than Rothenburg, much to our surprise! I also enjoyed Nordlingen. Wurzburg is supposed to be nice.

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 03:44 PM
Rosemary

I was on the Romantic Road this past June. I stayed at the Hotel Hornburg--terrific--the owners couldn't have been nicer. I have an e-mail address if you are interested. I also stayed in Rudesheim the night before I departed from Frankfurt. There I stayed at the Hotel Post overlooking the Rhine. <BR>I have this Hotel's fax--if interested e-mail me. Have a Great trip.